Is there a Hatch Buying Guide?

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2013, 07:58 AM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a Hatch Buying Guide?

Hi guys,

Long time since I've been on here, I'm off to View a Hatch STI at the weekend. I did a search but didn't get any useful results. Is there such thing as a hatch buying guide?
Old 17 September 2013, 09:15 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Step 1: Don't buy a hatch.

= Sorted.

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 17 September 2013, 09:41 AM
stressballsteve
Scooby Regular

no guides that I have found, but don't listen to the haters :-) ...#1 Check that it has had a full service history, #2, check that it had the map update done (I think early in 2008) which was done to try and sort out the problems with the ringlands. #3 save some money or get a warranty for any issues that may arise. #4 check for knocking on the suspension, I've just had 2 struts replaces and the car is only 4years old with 60k miles. #5 Paint is quality is pretty poor, it will no doubt be covered in stone chips and probably small scratches from car washes or hand washes where they squeegee the water off. #6 The standard head unit is pretty crap, but I believe the speakers are OK.
I find that running costs are not too expensive, apart from the fuel (it needs 98RON minimum unless its been mapped for a lower grade)
Other than that, enjoy driving it, they are a great car, a nice place to be in compared to earlier models, but they aren't the last word in luxury...you can tell the interior did see much of the development budget :-)
Go in with your eyes open, check the car over thoroughly and enjoy it.
that's just my opinion, drive it, see how you get on with it, but as I say, save some money for any issues that may arise...the worse being an engine rebuild if you are really unlucky.
For more info and more knowledgeable people, ask the same question in the hatch thread in the members gallery.
Steve
Old 17 September 2013, 10:37 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

In all seriousness, have a read of this as well, https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...e-failure.html
Old 17 September 2013, 11:24 AM
stressballsteve
Scooby Regular

but, where is the list of all the people with engines that haven't gone pop?...yes, some engines go pop, but not all. I think a lot is down to how the engines are maintained, cars driven and quality of fuel used...along with a lot of luck. Just go in with your eyes open
Old 17 September 2013, 01:17 PM
Aaron-B-Wrx
Scooby Newbie

I own a hatch and have done for a while now.

My car has done 52000 miles and as far as me owning is concerned I have never had a single issue, not a one

People will only talk of bad experiences, not many people post saying my hatch has not broken lol.

I also owned a hawkeye before the hatch and in all honesty, I had nothing but trouble with it and it had only done 19000 miles

The hawkeye is a slightly better car to drive but the hatch has caused me much less trouble. The hatch feels like more of a family car to drive than a full on fast car.

I love my hatch and I personally would never go back to the older shape.

Either way though, a Subaru is a Subaru and at some point in its life its gonna cost someone somewhere a lot of money but that is just luck of the draw and that can be any Subaru, new or old.

If you look after any car it will look after you.

In my opinion, the hatch is an awesome car for having a bit if fun in but it also fits the bill perfectly if you have a family, I always found the hawkeye slightly cramped in the back. Only bad side to the hatch is as already mentioned, the paint work is not the greatest. It marks fairly easily and the finish under the engine bay is shocking, they barely cover the primer lol

Just my two pence worth but hope it helps a little
Old 17 September 2013, 01:20 PM
Aaron-B-Wrx
Scooby Newbie

Just a thought too, check all door, boot, bonnet, headlights and inner wings for the factory chassis stickers, if there not their then this may indicate panel damage at some point

Trending Topics

Old 18 September 2013, 08:07 AM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys, I really do appreciate it, I know they are know for weak ringlands, is there any tell tale signs if they are already damaged apart from oil consumption?

I had a crazy WRX Blob previously and love scoob's so makes sense for me to get a newer one as I wouldn't want another blob.