Leaking radiator (Classic) - few questions

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2013, 09:23 AM
stuballs
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking radiator (Classic) - few questions

Hi all

I just aquired a MY99 Turbo 2000 - I absolutely love it but first long drive and the radiator has sprung a leak! It's defo the radiator and not a leaky hose (although it looks like the hoses have also been leaking at some point). I replaced all the clamps and where the coolant trail is I can't see how it could be coming from a hose. Didn't see any of these problems when I went to look at it and test drove it so think I'm just very unlucky!

Anyhoo, the radiator is an "upgraded race-spec 40mm" alloy radiator although turns out it was an ebay job. It also has a set of silicone hoses of unknown origin (no name on them).

I'm planning on replacing the rad with a stock Subaru part and replacing the top and bottom hoses with proper Subaru parts. My question is, is the stock radiator a known weak point? Should I go for another alloy rad? or an aftermarket part?

Also, the alloy rad has two fans and wondering if these came with this rad - they fit it very well. Does the stock rad have two fans?

Final question, is there a good online store for Subaru parts? Do we get a discount anywhere?

Cheers

Stu
Old 16 September 2013, 09:51 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we simply use/supply good quality std style radiators and rarely see issues other than through age fatigue..................

std rad can come with single or dual fans depending on exact spec
Old 16 September 2013, 12:16 PM
stuballs
Scooby Newbie

Eurocarparts have one for £70 (before discount) and I have one of their stores just up the road from me. So if it leaks I can take it back. And even if it's not top spec - It's going to be better than one that leaks!

The car's not modified at all so I don't know why he felt the need to fit a massive alloy rad. Unless he knew something I don't about this particular car? :/
Old 16 September 2013, 01:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine runs 400/400 on a standard rad.
The first one lasted 13 years!!!
Old 16 September 2013, 02:59 PM
stuballs
Scooby Newbie

Local subaru dealer want nearly £400 for the rad. Then another £70 for the hoses. Ouch!

That's a third of what I paid for the car less than a week ago. Maybe that's why the guy before me fitted the alloy unit.
Old 16 September 2013, 03:58 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

My classic my00 was leaking from what I thought was the rad, turned out it was a head issue, the hoses was "blowing up" and leaking round the joints, is your leak in the front drivers side beside the abs. Might be worth checking if the bottom hose pressures when the engine is revved on boost, my car didnt overheat, no real loss of water and no Mixing of oil and water. I only say as it's common for cars to be sold on as early hg issues can be missed and notice its a recent purchase
Old 16 September 2013, 05:11 PM
stuballs
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by blackvenom
My classic my00 was leaking from what I thought was the rad, turned out it was a head issue, the hoses was "blowing up" and leaking round the joints, is your leak in the front drivers side beside the abs. Might be worth checking if the bottom hose pressures when the engine is revved on boost, my car didnt overheat, no real loss of water and no Mixing of oil and water. I only say as it's common for cars to be sold on as early hg issues can be missed and notice its a recent purchase
Jesus. I really hope it's not that. Suddenly feel a little bit sick.

I can't see how it could be the hoses considering where it's leaking from. It's weeping from where the fins meet the end tank right at the top drivers side corner. There's no coolant between there and the hose so can't see how else it would get there.

There's also now coolant at the other end of the rad - it seems to be leaking at the bottom there, near the botteom hose. All I can do is replace the rad and hoses and see how it is then.

How would head gasket failure cause the hose to "blow up"? Are you saying the bottom hose shouldn't pressure when the engine is revved? Or it should? I would have thought it would due to increase pressure from the water pump? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Trending Topics

Old 16 September 2013, 09:02 PM
stuballs
Scooby Newbie

Ok so just had another look and whilst the rad is defo weeping, the worst leak is from where the bottom hose leaves the rad. The bottom hose is very firm with the engine running and doesn't seem to get any firmer with the engine rev'd.

Going to fit another rad and standard (non silicone) hoses and see what's what.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 16 September 2013, 10:10 PM
Matt R
Scooby Regular

I have a brand new classic rad, not genuine, still in box never opened, you can have for £30. Iam in Canterbury, but could get it delivered to Ashford if it helps.
Old 16 September 2013, 10:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine isn't a genuine one, it's from a local guy, £64 with a two-year guarantee and two decent new Jubilee clips.

Motor factors will do/can get the hoses too.

Dealer prices are utterly stupid.
Old 17 September 2013, 09:53 AM
stuballs
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Matt R
I have a brand new classic rad, not genuine, still in box never opened, you can have for £30. Iam in Canterbury, but could get it delivered to Ashford if it helps.
Thanks Dude. I'll take it. Ashford only a half hour drive for me (canterbury more like an hour). Could you get it there for the weekend? Wherabouts in Ashford?

Originally Posted by alcazar
Mine isn't a genuine one, it's from a local guy, £64 with a two-year guarantee and two decent new Jubilee clips.

Motor factors will do/can get the hoses too.

Dealer prices are utterly stupid.
Already bought the hoses (genuine) of ebay and some Mikalor tbolt clamps.

Last edited by stuballs; 17 September 2013 at 09:57 AM.