stutter at low revs fault code 23

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2013, 11:26 PM
rwb123
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stutter at low revs fault code 23

hi guys this all started on saturday when Y pipe blew off the turbo

idle control valve was cleaned just before the Y pipe blew off (as a week or 2 earlier it cut out and engine check flashed up / fault code 24 popped up also it began to cut out under braking approaching traffic lights 4 or 5 times after the initial prob surfaced ) thats why it blew off as i didnt tighten the hose clip enough as had to pick the mrs up i was rushing, idle valve looked fine so i carb cleaned it anyway not gunky at all so i changed a vac pipe or 2 at the same time picked the mrs up bobbed around town in all day without any probs hit motorway added boost Y pipe blew off turbo nursed it home a mile or so, it would not rev above 2 to 2.5 rpms, so i put Y pipe back on it ran like turd played about all day got it running lots better but was now pausing / stuttering intermittently around 1000 rpm's to 3000 rpm's you press the accelerator and its like the brakes are on then then off , so i reset the ecu and checked for fault codes again as the prob was still there got code 23 now so i reset again and same thing i presume the maf has had it then

cheers for taking time to read that epic account

rob
Old 10 September 2013, 08:14 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough I was going to write a similar post this morning about my Hawk STI stuttering between 1000-3000 mainly in 2nd, 3rd and 4th and when I'm gently pulling away, not launching or anything.
It almost feels like a turbo spools, you get that feeling of acceleration then it dies off and just feels like a normal car accelerating like the turbo sticks or something. Then suddenly releases between 2-3k and away you go again!
I have changed the panel filter for a Piper-X one but that's the only mod I've made to the car and that was almost a year ago now and it's only just started doing it.
Old 10 September 2013, 09:34 AM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like a leak or split hose. I had a similar issue and on inspection found I had a massive split in the centre pipe between my TMIC and manifold. Replaced the pipe and problem was solved. I had to remove the clamps from the pipe though and turned it around to inspect it as the split was at the bottom.
Old 10 September 2013, 11:08 AM
rwb123
Scooby Newbie

thanks guys i shall have another check over i've had the turbo inlet pipe split before and i wasnt anywhere near as bad as this but i suspect if anything its the Y pipe as that was blown off with a lot of force but i inspected it before i refitted it first time nothing visually wrong and pressure tested it with hands and mouth not that its very scientific seem to hold pressure tho, any other way that you guys can think of ? thanks for your replies