Notices

2.1 Stroker vs forged 2.0 vs oem sti 7-8 classic

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2013, 08:01 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.1 Stroker vs forged 2.0 vs oem sti 7-8 classic

I currently have a Uk2000 my00 so a phase 2 engine in my classic. it's currently pressurising the coolant system so it's a suspected head gasket, currently not using the car whilst I work out what I should do it's a good shell and I always looked at the car as a keeper, I know it may be cheaper to buy another more spec'ed car from another enthusiast. I have been looking at fitting a 2.1 Stroker engine, who currently has one fitted? Reading online there seems to be a few disadvantages, engine gets worn quickly and they don't cope with higher rpms? Also been looking into getting ej20 classic engine forged, apart from cost, high oil use and noise from the pistons till they warm up, what's other disadvantages? Easiest option would maybe just fit a doner engine from a Newage sti, any advice would be good, many thanks
Old 05 September 2013, 08:10 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The 2.1 stroker uses forged pistons and rods depending on which variant of stroker kit you buy. The added advantage of the forged or billet crank is strength at higher boost and RPM but mega bucks. I have had both. No issues with either.

I do have to say I have never experienced excessive piston slap noise for a fully forged motor. You need to decided where you want the car to be in the future. If you only want 4/450hp then a 2.1 stroker will be fine in my veiw. If you want 600+ then fully forged is the way.
Old 05 September 2013, 08:29 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by seventune
If you want 600+ then 2.35L.
EFA.

OP, I think you're believing too much crap that you read on the internet, or confusing some stuff with 2.5L engines.

A properly built 2.1 or 2.0 should have none of the issues that you raise, other that the pistons could be a bit slappy when cold. Choice of pistons rectifies that, I believe.
Old 05 September 2013, 08:37 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Depends on budget,but I would go with 2.1L,have run 2.1L and with right turbo is great setup like day to day driving or track

2.1L will cope nicely with higher RPM,depends on valvetrain,on our one we have set rev limit 7800RPM,with right heads and valvetrain and you can rev above 8000RPM without the problem

Jura
Old 05 September 2013, 08:50 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys guys, helped lot
Old 05 September 2013, 08:52 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you need to be thinking about what power you want in the future from any engine before making a choise.

As said a 2.0 newage STI lump will happily provide 400bhp, in fact I know of a few that have had more than 500bhp from a standard block and internals.

A Forged or 2.1 will be stronger than the above if built propely, and I think that bit is the key here. Again there are many on here that are running beyond 600bhp with no issues, check out the bhp leader board!

If your simply after reliabilty at relatively standard > 380bhp, then Id just buy a 2nd hand good 2001> 2.0 STI shortmotor for say £800, add new gaskets, belts, pump etc, happy days and cheap enough!

But there is no denying that a proper built forged motor is the right choice for futore proof, and reliabilty if power hunting.

Eitherway, if your still running a 5speed box, then be careful if you interd on pushing the engine, the 5 speed from the classics are a little stronger (I believe) than the newage, but they are still the weak part.

Rob