Notices

AST Streetline 1 Coilovers - best settings?

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2013, 08:50 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AST Streetline 1 Coilovers - best settings?

Cornering in my 2004/5 Blob Type 20 has never instilled me with much confidence, especially on right hand bends. It feels almost like the front end is going to tuck under which, for a car with legendary handling, is somewhat disappointing.

It's running on 17" Michelin Pilot Sport 3s (all 235s as it's JDM, and only 200 miles old), with newly rebuilt AST coilovers with new springs (all four were set half way on the damping adjustment *****) and the usual Whitleline anti-lift kit and anti roll bars.

The ride height is as set by Curtis at AST during the rebuild, and he said it was correct for the car. Litchfields then re-aligned the suspension geometry for me at the last service.

I'm not the world's fastest driver by a long way, but I tried turning the front ASTs up a couple of clicks today and it seemed to improve matters.

I also wondered if I'd bought the wrong tyres, but Michelins are usually pretty good. I don't think there's anything else on the suspension that's worn or misaligned.

Can anyone advise me please if there is a particular set-up that I ought to aim for with the damping? I think it's going the right way, but I'd love to be able to corner somewhat more rapidly without worrying that the adjacent hedge beckons!

Thanks for any help.
Old 16 August 2013, 10:51 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to run this setup, with 6 clicks on the front and 4 on the back.
Maybe you need to do a few more miles on your tyres to get the best out of them.
Haven't used these tyres, so can't really say anything about them.

Last edited by cster; 16 August 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 16 August 2013, 03:02 PM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

The tyres are one of the best road tyre I have used wet or dry so they are not the issue, they are very good indeed. I have semi slicks on my car now and to be honest I miss the ps3's .

Maybe try a stiffer rear anti roll bar to give a better turn in, Also I would advise that you check all the bushings , anti roll bar links etc and get a proper 4 wheel alignment setup from some that know what they are doing.
Old 17 August 2013, 08:18 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps, that's very helpful. I hope that Litchfields will have done the alignment correctly Baz, but I'll get them to check it again next time it's there for servicing.

I'll have a good look around the bushings too. Again, I think they're okay, but I'll look harder now.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 18 August 2013, 07:06 AM
edger-360
Scooby Regular

Mate get yourself up to chevron in Stafford and speak to Simon
its the next level in car set-up.I have AST's on my wide tract blob with whiteline anti roll bars/droplinks/uprated bushes etc should have handled like a dream but just had no confidence in the set up.
I took mine to powerstation/A line and other alignment places same as you but was just disappointed with set up
thats where chevron came in and transformed my car
As mentioned by Baz82 my whiteline anti roll bars were increased in size to adjustable
24mm front/rear and other trick stuff its a dream to drive now
Old 18 August 2013, 12:08 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much, I'll look into them.

To be brutally honest, our 2010 1.6 petrol Fiesta feels like it handles better than my T20 Blob at the moment, which good though the Fiesta is, I assume is certainly not the correct state of affairs.