Stutter problem, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2013, 10:06 PM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stutter problem, please help!

Hi guys,

Really hope you can help me with this one as its driving me nuts!

I have a my00 UK turbo 2000 with a stutter problem. Under load, particularly in 3rd or 4th just as boost kicks in and during boost it will stutter mildly. However not all the time. I've also noticed that when idling, I can feel a slight sort of shake but again very mild. Also more recently on occasions during WOT it seems to lose power like fuel surge but it always has at least just under half a tank of fuel in and it's not done it previously with less fuel in.

A bit about the car. It's running a TD05 16g front entry converted, R spec 3 port boost solenoid, Simtek ECU running mafless, HKS SSQV, 3" Decat turbo back.

I took it to my mapper recently and we went out in the car and it did it intermittently. Got back and put it on the rollers but couldn't seem to emulate it on there. Anyway replaced plugs for NGK's and thought all was well but on the way back home it started again!

Been and bought a coilpack and set of HT leads for her today. Removed leads from coilpack and immediately noticed that one of the metal connectors on the coilpack was darker than the others where as they were quite shiny. This same connector also had a bit of green at the bottom, don't know if this was damp? Looking into the HT leads I noticed the one that was connected to the darker connector looked a bit dirty inside. So as I had limited time today I just changed the coilpack and left the leads for tomorrow. Attempted to clean inside the dirty HT lead aswell. Doesn't seem to have made any difference. Looking at the new coilpack all four connectors look shiny and all of the new leads are really clean and shiny inside so as I say I will fit these tomorrow. Just want a heads up of what else to try should the leads not improve it tomorrow. Can't be MAF as its running mafless and I had a brand new lambda sensor about 2 years ago along with a fuel filter and new walbro fuel pump. The exhaust has a blow somewhere near the front but haven't had chance to investigate where yet and can't see how that would show these symptoms. Also if I get det then the Simtek ECU causes the check engine light to flash and this isn't happening.

Anyone got any ideas as my patience is running out with it. Sorry for the long post, but thought too much detail is better than not enough!
Old 17 August 2013, 10:15 PM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

Oh yes and also noticed that the car seems to smell a bit rich on fuel but perhaps I'm just noticing now because of the problem I'm having and probably due to the decat.
Old 18 August 2013, 12:11 AM
Keithys
Scooby Regular

It seems to be common on the 99 00 ones for some reason mines a 99 and does it just before it comes on boost ive read a lot of posts on here about it and most seem to say its the maf sensor or boost solenoid
Old 18 August 2013, 08:09 AM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

Hmmm I see what you're saying but do you think that could be at fault after 2 years? Also forgot I mention that it has two maps and I get none of the stuttering on boost problems when on the low boost map.
Old 18 August 2013, 10:47 AM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Leave it on low boost then.

Tried blocking off the chav trumpet?
Old 18 August 2013, 01:21 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Try cleaning the throttle body. Its the first job i do,or get done,on all cars ive had. Its worth a go.