Notices

Acceleration & Engine check light problem

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2013, 02:52 PM
ZX-TT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration & Engine check light problem

Techie experts I could use your help!! I have a 52 wrx bugeye wagon with 60k on clock. It has a strange problem with engine warning light.

When I'm driving and give it a little right foot (ok a bit of stick) or drop a gear to overtake, on throttle the engine check light flashes, if i ease off the acceleration it goes off? if i keep my foot down it then stays on permanently. I thought at 1st it might be a maf prob so changed the maf and still the same??

Any one come across this before?? Thanks for the help in advance

Craig

PS I did use a basic OBDII gaget on it once and while the check engine light was on it cam up with running lean on left bank?? not sure if this is related.

Needless to say I don't drive the car hard in any way at present its just a town car really.
Old 15 August 2013, 05:38 PM
Trevban
Scooby Newbie

Im no expert on Subarus but I had a similar fault on my old celica, it turned out to be an oil pressure fault. The fault flaged up the engine management light as the variable valve timing was governed by oil pressure. This probably has no similarity to the boxer engine and valve timing but thought I would mention it anyway. Good luck fella.
Old 15 August 2013, 08:56 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Sounds like cam sensor. Remove it and check for debris on it's pick up face. If it is very grimey check the cam belt isn't slack.
Old 15 August 2013, 09:16 PM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

I have something similar on my 52 bug wrx. Only has 55k on the clock, FSH :-)

Mapped an modded to 340+.

But mines maffless with TGV deletes, and a super rom map.

If i change gear aggressivly, the cel light will flag up. Then onto the next gear (still full throttle) light goes out. NPS maybe?

But sometimes during spirited driving, the cel light comes on mid way through a gear, an you can feel it pull the timing (only a little, but you can tell), light
Goes out, full power returns. Thats in like a second or 2.

Ive installed a brand new NPS from subaru. An had the ecu read, an the map checked. No faults on the ECU, map os spot on.

The cam sensor is a handy tip, an will check it when i get a chance

The oil pressure thing... Scares me. Hope the oil pump aint failing
Old 15 August 2013, 09:46 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

"quote"If i change gear aggressivly, the cel light will flag up. Then onto the next gear (still full throttle) light goes out. NPS maybe?

But sometimes during spirited driving, the cel light comes on mid way through a gear, an you can feel it pull the timing (only a little, but you can tell), light
Goes out, full power returns. Thats in like a second or 2.

Ive installed a brand new NPS from subaru. An had the ecu read, an the map checked. No faults on the ECU, map os spot on."quote"

The speed density rom does flash the cel when knock is detected, but "knock" can be in many forms, not necessarily det. I.e. If you hit the engine with a hammer it would detect knock.
The fact that you say it does it on an aggressive gear change, it may be mechanical, possibly an engine mounting etc.
I'm not saying that it's not pre det, cos it easily could be (you would need to log data) just saying there is other causes.
Old 16 August 2013, 03:26 PM
ZX-TT
Scooby Regular

Thanks all

A few suggestions from another site is one im running it on 95 ron which could be causing issues, its only a town driver so never felt the need for 97/99ron however this could be causing the knock sensor to react?

Im going to run on 99 ron this week and see if I can still get the fault to occur
Old 17 August 2013, 08:46 AM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZX-TT
Thanks all

A few suggestions from another site is one im running it on 95 ron which could be causing issues, its only a town driver so never felt the need for 97/99ron however this could be causing the knock sensor to react?

Im going to run on 99 ron this week and see if I can still get the fault to occur

If im honest, i ran it on texaco exilium 97ron for about 3 weeks. Cel light came on nearly everytime i went out. Made the extra 3 mile trip to get v-power nitro. Cell light only comes on when mentioned above now. Used v-power since, and the occasional momentum.

Just cleaned the cam an crank sensor.

Cam sensor was cleanish.

Cam sensor was dirty. Hopefully this will help :-)