Notices

Car rings itself... no it does

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2013, 08:35 AM
grey_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car rings itself... no it does

Sounds weird... not literally ringed, as in pinched and converted to new ID!

My 06 STI spec D I suspect may have a tracker or other device such GPS device... unless someone else can call me a duffus and shed some light on this..

Had this care a month or so now and three weeks ago when cleaning her, doors wide open, I hear what sounds like a mobile ringing in my car, note the ignition is OFF ( key in pocket) , stereo is off, my phones are in the house! Sounds like a phone...ring ring...ring ring, rings about 6 times, then stops

Then nothing until two days ago, I lock car and go to walk away and ring ring..ring ring

Note- my phone was not connected to bluetoooth before this happened and each time I was out of the car, it is making my feel like I am being stalked I hope its a girl not a bloke

Anyone an expert in covert surveillance or stalking that can point me in the right direction..

I am Midlands based

Last edited by grey_boy; 02 August 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02 August 2013, 08:46 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 232 Likes on 173 Posts

it does have a tracker and also sat nav which is also wired up so you can ring the sat nav people (as i understand) to ask where/how to get somewhere. there is a button on left hand side of steering couling under indicator stalk

never really understood it myself i just removed the sat nav as soon as i bought my spec D. even then i just disconnected the screen. everything else is still in place.

2 mics on top of steering couling also. each side of parking lights switch. 1 is for bluetooth hook up on stereo, other is for sat nav phone dialer

all very confusing!!
Old 02 August 2013, 08:54 AM
grey_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
it does have a tracker and also sat nav which is also wired up so you can ring the sat nav people (as i understand) to ask where/how to get somewhere. there is a button on left hand side of steering couling under indicator stalk

never really understood it myself i just removed the sat nav as soon as i bought my spec D. even then i just disconnected the screen. everything else is still in place.

2 mics on top of steering couling also. each side of parking lights switch. 1 is for bluetooth hook up on stereo, other is for sat nav phone dialer

all very confusing!!
Yeah I know it has nav and tracker, the issue is the incoming call which probably sends SMS geo locations back to the sender! ie were my car is!

Re:re moving the crapppy TrafficMaster (TM) NAV unit..I tried removing the (TM) screen, removed lower, mid and top centre pieces but could not for the hell of me trace the TM back in the loom. Fricking wiring is cabled tied in to the loom.

Were did you disconnect yours dude?

Last edited by grey_boy; 02 August 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02 August 2013, 08:57 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car actually has a phone number so the Sat Nav guys can talk to you if you use the system.
I got the number off them so that people could ring my car, as my bluetooth was F-ing useless.
The ignition must be switched on in order to use the touchscreen to answer the call, but it will ring with the ignition off.
You can probably call them using your call button on the left of the steering column (I think) and find out what your number is.
I have long since disconnected my Smart Nav as you can get a mobile to do the same sort of thing for free - or you can just use a map before you set out, if you are a bloke*.
Don't use the Tracker either, as I'm not that interested in paying for the service, or getting my car back if it is stolen. Insurance don't care either way in my case.

* that is a small joke by the way Harriet H
Old 02 August 2013, 09:00 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grey_boy

I just broke mine off. Not very clever really.
Old 02 August 2013, 09:04 AM
grey_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
Your car actually has a phone number so the Sat Nav guys can talk to you if you use the system.
I got the number off them so that people could ring my car, as my bluetooth was F-ing useless.
The ignition must be switched on in order to use the touchscreen to answer the call, but it will ring with the ignition off.
You can probably call them using your call button on the left of the steering column (I think) and find out what your number is.
I have long since disconnected my Smart Nav as you can get a mobile to do the same sort of thing for free - or you can just use a map before you set out, if you are a bloke*.
Don't use the Tracker either, as I'm not that interested in paying for the service, or getting my car back if it is stolen. Insurance don't care either way in my case.

* that is a small joke by the way Harriet H
Nice one dude.. Was thinking I had a stalker... damn
Old 02 August 2013, 09:41 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 232 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by grey_boy
Yeah I know it has nav and tracker, the issue is the incoming call which probably sends SMS geo locations back to the sender! ie were my car is!

Re:re moving the crapppy TrafficMaster (TM) NAV unit..I tried removing the (TM) screen, removed lower, mid and top centre pieces but could not for the hell of me trace the TM back in the loom. Fricking wiring is cabled tied in to the loom.

remove the wee screw on the back of the sat nav where the power wire goes in, reveals the plug. unplug and push wire back down in behind stereo somewhere lol
Old 02 August 2013, 02:06 PM
grey_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
remove the wee screw on the back of the sat nav where the power wire goes in, reveals the plug. unplug and push wire back down in behind stereo somewhere lol
Nice one chap, will try that. Should have thought of that really
Old 02 August 2013, 03:34 PM
haulagepro
Scooby Newbie

Can't really help or offer any advice but made me chuckle and reminded me. I have a '08' plate citroen relay van, not long after I bought it I was in London when all of a sudden a voice said you are now entering a congestion zone! I didn't have the stereo or my satnav switched on. to put it mildly I **** myself. don't know what I did but it doesn't do it anymore??
Old 04 August 2013, 09:08 AM
lovinmyscoob
Scooby Newbie

You sure there aint an old mobile lurking in the car somewhere ha
Old 14 August 2013, 02:25 PM
grey_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lovinmyscoob
You sure there aint an old mobile lurking in the car somewhere ha
I thought that too!

Now ripped it out and not rung since..
Old 25 August 2013, 07:13 PM
BillyBrown
Scooby Regular

I have a tracker but no sat nav in my 2006 wrx sti. I was sat in car waiting for a mate one night and my car started ringing just like that... My phone isnt connected to the head unit (which is standard). The only thing I can think of is a group of people left the train station an one of their phones must have connected with my car? I have no idea but its only done it the once.