Notices

folding mirrors wiring on my96 classic?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2013, 01:03 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default folding mirrors wiring on my96 classic?

just bought myself electric folding mirrors for a my96 wagon with the switch and also managed to get 1 of major sarcasms folding modules. is the wiring already there for the folding part or do i have to run extra wires to the mirror motors? did some googling and it seems the switches are identical but the folding switch has 2 extra prongs which is obviously for the folding wires. just hoped the wires were already on the loom as often they do that at the factory and just dont use them on the models that dont have them fitted as standard? any help appreciated as im hoping to have a bash at fitting them tomorrow. cheers
Old 29 July 2013, 01:20 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Not sure bout 1996 model but 1998 onwards has wirring that goes to the door loom, you just need to carry it on from there 2 wires from each foot well
Old 29 July 2013, 01:32 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

thanks m8. im thinking earlier cars wont have it but hoping someone knows.
Old 29 July 2013, 05:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You do need extra wiring, as did I on my 98 car.

Basically you need to identify the two unused prongs on the switch, and run a PAIR of wires from each, one from each prong to each mirror.

The way round you connect them decides which way the mirror moves, so do it temporary, make a note of the colours, run them hidden and connect permanent.

Mine run in alonngside the stuff going into the door, strapped to it with zip-ties.

I cut a connector off a Legacy and one off a Legacy switch, took the pins out, with about 10" of wire, inserted them in the connector blocks, and soldered and heat-shrunk the wiring.

It's easy enough to do, if I were at home I could send you detailed instructions, including how to remove doorcards etc. Unfortunately, I'm away until end of August.
Old 29 July 2013, 06:57 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

thanks for the reply m8. so the extra wiring has to run all the way from mirror connection to the switch and not from the footwell as in above post? i found a guide here:http://www.subiegal.com/thecars/impr...ing_mirror.htm it seems to show 2 extra wires on the connector? are these the ones to use and just add wires to the 2 wires on the plug and run them to the mirrors?
Old 29 July 2013, 08:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

That's about it.

As I said, I got extra prongs for the car part of the loom where it plugs into the switch, using the spaces on the connector where the two EXTRA pins are on the JDM switch.

Likewise, I had some prongs for the car part that plugged into the mirrors, again, in the spaces where the two extra pins are on the mirror plug.

Then it's just a case of wiring from the switch two wires to each mirror. Do it temporarily to check if it unfolds/folds as it should, (and not the wrong way round.)

Do both sides, temporarily. Once you have it working, mark the wires, remove and refit hidden and neat, making connections with solder and heat-shrink.

Takes a morning with coffee breaks.

The main thing to keep in mind is that the TWO new wires from the switch do the fold/unfold depending on which way round the current flows. Up one, down the other folds and down one, up the other unfolds, no other connections needed.

So those TWO wires need to be split into two PAIRS one from each pair for each mirror.
Old 29 July 2013, 11:06 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

thanks again m8. where can i get extra pins? just nip to a scrappy and butcher a few plugs im guessing? i suppose any from an impreza, fozzy or legger will do? think im def gonna have a go at this.
Old 30 July 2013, 10:43 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

That's what I did, found a Leggy, no Imprezas in local ones.
The pins are different sizes, so I cut off the connector and a foot of wire from the switch and the connector and a foot of wire from one door to mirror.

The pins can be removed by inserting a needle etc down into the REAR of the receptacle, they then slide out. First one takes about a minute, next ones are done instantly.
Old 30 July 2013, 11:39 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

thanks alcazar. did you do the major sarcasm mod as well? i got the module as well to fit but im going to attempt to get the mirrors fitted and working first and then fit the module. im hoping to wire it in with my turbo timer so they close when the timer cuts out. seen the videos major sarcasm has on his posts and seems to work well. ok off to the breakers yard today and see if i can pick up what i need! will post an update either patting myself on the back or crying begging for help when i get started on them lol.
Old 30 July 2013, 08:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Never bothered with it, no.

TBH, I'm unsure how many times the mirrors will fold/unfold before the mechanism or gears wear out.......