Notices

Classic clutch master cylinder help

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2013, 12:50 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic clutch master cylinder help

Hi guy's my clutch master cylinder is leaking fluid and it's dripping into the car. I've never changed one of these before, the plan is to get one from ebay/local and swap it over. From what I can see there's a pin and clip to the pedal, 2 bulk head bolts and the fluid line from the master which goes upto the scuttle to a t piece before going back down to the slave. Any tips to help with changing it and then bleeding it. Thanks, pretty urgent as I want to take my car to japfest this weekend and not our lasses 307
Old 03 July 2013, 01:09 PM
propofol
Scooby Regular

Bolt through top of pedal held in place with c clip. I found it easier to work on by removing whole bracket: two bolts at the top and undo the nuts in engine bay on firewall. You can the pull strut out of footwell from engine bay having disconnected hydraulic lines from master to give you the room. I would drain as much fluid from reservoir using syringe or hand vac pump to avoid spillage.
Bleeding is done via the nipple on slave cylinder. Easiest to get to by taking TMIC off but you don't have to ( can reach from under car when jacked up). Fill reservoir and either have two people to bleed - one to depress pedal and other to open and close bleed screw in time or use a one way valve and piece of tubing arrangement. You can also use a hand vac pump if you have one ( my preferred method).
Make sure you keep the reservoir topped up as you go.
Old 03 July 2013, 01:18 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by propofol
Bolt through top of pedal held in place with c clip. I found it easier to work on by removing whole bracket: two bolts at the top and undo the nuts in engine bay on firewall. You can the pull strut out of footwell from engine bay having disconnected hydraulic lines from master to give you the room. I would drain as much fluid from reservoir using syringe or hand vac pump to avoid spillage.
Bleeding is done via the nipple on slave cylinder. Easiest to get to by taking TMIC off but you don't have to ( can reach from under car when jacked up). Fill reservoir and either have two people to bleed - one to depress pedal and other to open and close bleed screw in time or use a one way valve and piece of tubing arrangement. You can also use a hand vac pump if you have one ( my preferred method).
Make sure you keep the reservoir topped up as you go.
Thanks fella for the help, cheers Steve.