Short block for 2003 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2013, 07:35 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short block for 2003 WRX

Hi all!!

the bottom end is knocking on my 2003 WRX, which is completely standard.

I have a few bits (td04 hybrid, pinks, decat down pipe, sti uppipe, etc.) that are going to go on with the new block. I'm going to be aiming for a useable 300bhp, to a max 330bhp, daily driver, road car.

I've done a search, and cant figure out, are all the blocks (classic and newage) interchangeable, or will I need a newage wrx block?

If they are interchangeable, is it better to use a newage one, because, they wont be as old?

Whats the average price of a WRX block in good condition with low miles?

For 300bhp an sti bloke would be overkill right? There are definitely no plans to go over 330bhp.

These seem like really basic questions, and I did search before asking (before anyone tells me Google is my friend, or to use the search button!)

Cheers in advance!
Old 01 July 2013, 09:54 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Newage WRX will be an open deck block with cast HBR twin dot pistons and 'nut type' rods.
IMHO, you wont have much of a safety margin with the rods and pistons if your top end target is 330bhp.
Newage STi will have semi closed deck block with forged HF pistons and later 'bolt type' rods - will run 400bhp all day long with supporting mods and map.
I know what my choice would be.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Mick
Old 02 July 2013, 11:59 AM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merlin24
Newage WRX will be an open deck block with cast HBR twin dot pistons and 'nut type' rods.
IMHO, you wont have much of a safety margin with the rods and pistons if your top end target is 330bhp.
Newage STi will have semi closed deck block with forged HF pistons and later 'bolt type' rods - will run 400bhp all day long with supporting mods and map.
I know what my choice would be.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Mick
Hi Mick,

cheers for the info.

Are the classic STI and blobeye WRX bottom end interchangeable? Could I get a classic STI bottom end and just bolt it to my heads?

The classic STI bottom ends are better value for money than the newage bottom ends, are the classic bottom ends as good as the newage ones?

Thanks again for your help on this.
Old 02 July 2013, 09:46 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes they are interchangeable with the appropriate head gaskets but all you will gain from the Classic STi short motor is the HF forged pistons as the rods are still the early 'nut type'.

Mick