Notices

MY00 With Cone Filter - Risk?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2013, 09:47 AM
mikejenkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY00 With Cone Filter - Risk?

I am looking to buy an MY00 classic. I have seen a couple that have looked great except they have had cheap looking cone filters fitted by previous owners which I know is a bad idea on these.

One has already had its MAF replaced about 7K miles ago and the other one is showing signs of the MAF already failing. The first one is pretty low mileage and according to its history may have only had the filter on for about 10K miles - I would have bought it if it were not for the filter.

I know I should probably walk from both of these cars but they are getting hard to find as are the OEM airbox bits to replace the filters with. Any opinions? Am I making too big a deal about this?
Old 30 June 2013, 10:08 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

They just run **** with induction kits and damage mafs if over oiled. Just replace with std airbox and worst case scenario a new maf.

It wouldnt put me off if rest of car is good
Old 30 June 2013, 10:17 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue is the direct effect on the MAF sensor.
The sensor delivers an output voltage to the ECU based on air volume. If the airflow is altered in any way, the output can vary. This will change the ECU strategy related to load, and therefore ignition timing and fuelling. The differences can be dramatic!
If you're using a good quality filter, it's ok, as long as you either have the car remapped for it, or at least check that you aren't suffering from any tuning problems.
Up to 350 bhp or so, we leave the filters stock, possibly adding a decent panel filter, we favour the Cosworth version.