Notices

Thermostat/ coolant change impreza

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2013, 06:10 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Thermostat/ coolant change impreza

Ok so after fitting my turbo, injectors and fmic I'm gonna do a coolant and thermostat change... I've done a few coolant changes so have a good idea of what to do but wanna be 100% sure I get it right tomoro as I will be starting her up for the first time since the mods have been added but I've never changed a thermostat so again just want to get it right.

So is this Order correct and am I missing anything

1. Undo thermostat housing and let the coolant drain

2. Fully remove the thermostat housing and remove thermostat taking note off the position of the pin thing on the thermostat..

3 ?? Can I just put a hose in header tank and flush system ???

4. Replace thermostat making sure the new thermostat goes in in the same position as the old one.. ( is this just done with the pin on the thermostat )

5. Replace housing

6. Back fill system via turbo hose on header tank

7. Heater on hot and full, start car, squeeze all pipework to remove any air

8. Wait for fan to kick in and top up header tank as required..

9. Take for spin making sure I'm getting hot air through heating and that I'm not getting any funny noises

So think thats about it if some one can confirm that's correct and if I'm missing anything could u let me no ..

Cheers

Last edited by crazyspeedfreakz; 28 June 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 28 June 2013, 06:36 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good to me just dont let it gurgle when filling through turbo hose... nice n slow
Old 28 June 2013, 06:39 PM
scooby_Paul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds about right to me.. Dont think theres any bleed screws to undo. If the thermostat housings got a gasket on it id be tempted to put a smear of high temp silicone around it too
Old 28 June 2013, 07:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Just so long as you go slow and steady, don't let it gurgle or gulp, and make sure the heater is set to hot throughout.

If you haven't done so, I recommend changing at least the top hose too. I changed the rad on mine, it looked fine, but pinholed due to manipulation, then sprayed out when the system was pressurised. On removal, and twisting, the inside of the hose looked as though it had been slashed repeatedly with a razor blade
Old 28 June 2013, 07:30 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Just so long as you go slow and steady, don't let it gurgle or gulp, and make sure the heater is set to hot throughout.

If you haven't done so, I recommend changing at least the top hose too. I changed the rad on mine, it looked fine, but pinholed due to manipulation, then sprayed out when the system was pressurised. On removal, and twisting, the inside of the hose looked as though it had been slashed repeatedly with a razor blade
I've changed the rad and rad hoses quite recently so won't need to be done this time.

So set the heated controls to hot whilst filling and when I start the car, once the bottom hose is off can I just put a hose in the header tank and flush it through ??