Notices

Full boost pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2013, 04:55 PM
Lewis_B
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full boost pressure problem

Hey everyone, hopefully you don't mind my first post being a problem, I've been lurking on here for a while! Ha

Ok I wouldn't make a thread if I didn't think my problem was somewhat unique so thanks in advance.

My 02' WRX builds boost pressure poorly and judders on WOT, once it reaches the its maximum 9psi (Its always ran this even before this problem) its hits a wall and the car wont accelerate, the car misfires and acts like its hitting a rev limiter. Change up into the next gear, and voilą, away we go, albeit rather gutlessly. Also, the dump valve does not work, yet I've inspected it to find its in excellent condition.

Car has a 3" turbo back decat exhaust, no remap, the generic dump valve and a drilled air box.

No diagnostic codes other than the 02 sensor picking up the decat

Falcon Motorsport couldn't find anything, but any help would be really appreciated guys/gals.

Lewis
Old 27 June 2013, 07:05 PM
mozzerscoob
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like the top mount intercooler is possibly blocked or leaking. Thinking about it logically there can be no restrictions between airbox and turbo as its boosting ok but you mention dump valve is not working so between the turbo and dump valve all you have is a rubber hose to the bottom of the intercooler , a solid Y pipe and the intercooler itself so say the problem is there. I would say the lack of power and misfire is due to lack of air entering the engine due to being lost through the intercooler
Old 27 June 2013, 10:09 PM
Lewis_B
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply, yea I thought the same thing, lack of pressure to open the DV but still making full boost :@ Must have had the inter-cooler off more than 10 times now haha. I'll give it a full look over to check for damage/blockage. Wouldn't surprise me EJ20's are very high tolerance