Notices

Fuel filter - which and when

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2013, 09:58 AM
R12CYS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel filter - which and when

Quick question chaps, just going for a service, I have already bought the bits and noticed fuel filters on euro car parts- are these any good, which one should I buy and how much should I be paying. Second question is when should they be changed.

Thanks for your help, car is 2003, blob , wrx with ppp. 84k
Old 15 June 2013, 10:26 AM
Felton
Scooby Regular

When ever I service any of my cars I always replace all filters inc fuel there's no harm in it and gives me peace of mind
Old 15 June 2013, 10:55 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felton
When ever I service any of my cars I always replace all filters inc fuel there's no harm in it
This is misleading.
Filters have a projected life span generally relating to a certain throughput of whatever media it is they are filtering. Engine manufacturers will use this data to base their servicing recommendations on so that the filter is working efficiently, yet is changed before it becomes too dirty and causes problems.
If you think of a filter in its most basic form, i.e. as a net for catching crap, it starts off with a given mesh or apperture size, usually measured in microns. At this original size the filter will allow particles below this size to pass through and larger particles are trapped. As the filter collects particles of dirt these apertures gradually block up and reduce in size and so collect smaller and smaller particles, becoming more and more efficient as they do so.
Obviously there will come a point where the filter will no longer pass the required volume of media and this is when problems occur. The filter should be renewed before this point is reached, and this is where manufacturer's recommendations come into play.
If you change your filters too early you are not using them to the best advantage.
Old 15 June 2013, 12:13 PM
Felton
Scooby Regular

It's not miss leading at all I don't replace on every service just a main one and never had a problem with the 30 odd cars I've owned as you never know if its ever been replaced (unless it has a full detailed sh)and for the price they cost its more for peace of mind for me but I understand what your saying in that bit it's never gona harm it as if its blocked up the proformance will be down as will be staving of fuel but if its ran that way since owning u would be none the wiser would you ?
Old 15 June 2013, 01:29 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felton
It's not miss leading at all I don't replace on every service
Sorry if it came across a bit strong mate, but you did actually say "When ever I service any of my cars I always replace all filters"
The point I was making was simply that to replace a filter before it's due is a waste of money, and you're not getting the best out of your equipment.
Old 15 June 2013, 01:42 PM
R12CYS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Sorry if it came across a bit strong mate, but you did actually say "When ever I service any of my cars I always replace all filters"
The point I was making was simply that to replace a filter before it's due is a waste of money, and you're not getting the best out of your equipment.
Thanks chaps, questions is, the euro car parts one any good? Should I just go do oe spec or is it worth paying a few quid extra??
Old 15 June 2013, 03:01 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Import Car Parts should sort you out ok.
http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts.asp?cat=96