Notices

AVCS Cam Gear Advancing

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2013, 02:21 AM
MBofMB
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVCS Cam Gear Advancing

My task at hand is to install a JDM EJ254 into a ’98 Outback; it appears to be from a 1999-2003 Lancaster as per the transmission code (TZ1A4ZKABA-WD). I would love to have the AVCS functional but not willing to change the ECM+wiring at this point.
The intake cam advance setting has been stated by different individuals with different values … quite confusing for a novice.
EX. 1 you can simulate 7.5° of avcs advance by advancing the cam by 1 tooth. 30° would be simulated by advancing the cam 4 teeth.
EX. 2 Simply advance the Intake cam pulleys by one tooth on the belt to have them both advanced by 15~17* and call it done. It will be sitting at almost the same timing as NON-AVCS cams.

Does someone have the correct information as to how to produce the 20 degrees advance (as advised) without changing the AVCS cam pulley?

"Also...make sure you supply oil to the AVCS solenoids because the front cam journals depend on this oil supply for lubrication (in addition to the AVCS function)."

By not removing or changing any of the components … wouldn’t the front cam journals be receiving adequate oil already? Or does the above mean to add an oil line?

Thank you for your time and efforts,
Myron
Old 13 June 2013, 07:05 PM
MBofMB
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received part of the answer from the NASIOC forum:

One tooth on the cam is worth 7.5 degrees cam, which is 15 degrees crank angle due to the 2:1 ratio of teeth.

AVCS angle is measured in crank degrees, so one tooth is equal to 15 degrees AVCS intake cam advance.

Search for a thread on EJ207 cam gears, I forget the thread. They found there's only ~25-30 degrees possible inside the gear, but the ECU was going up to 45 degrees, therefore it had to be crank degrees in the ECU.

So you can only advance in increments of 15 degrees. You can go one tooth for 15 degrees or two teeth for 30 degrees.

Edit:
Here is the thread. TONS of great info in there. The relevant stuff ends up after the first few posts. Post 42 is where it's incredibly clear that the ECU AVCS angle that people discuss MUST be in crank degrees, but read the whole thread, it has lots of good stuff:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...php?p=21758335

The other part was:

Since I do not have a signal/power to the AVCS OCV (linear hydraulic control valve), how would it obtain any oil flow?

Apparently the OCV requires a PWM signal (around 300Hz) to operate it.

Any ideas/direction?