Notices

Exhaust blowing (pictures attached)

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2013, 06:52 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust blowing (pictures attached)

Hi All,

Could someone advice me a bit here please, i have my exhaust blowing on the heatshield near the manifold

Could someone tell me if there is clamp, weld what if this was a repair?

Thanks all
Old 11 June 2013, 06:55 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

is it blowing from the flexi section, if so no fixable I believe...
Old 11 June 2013, 07:03 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt Jack Sparrow
is it blowing from the flexi section, if so no fixable I believe...
yeah i think it blowing from there mate,

so what would i call that part if i need a replacement?
Old 11 June 2013, 08:48 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

from the (poor) pictures it looks like one piece aftermarket headers.......................

nothing swaps from std stuff so simply replace
Old 12 June 2013, 12:18 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
from the (poor) pictures it looks like one piece aftermarket headers.......................

nothing swaps from std stuff so simply replace

Sorry man, so its called one piece header?

fml there is more bits to the dam exhaust system than i realised lol!
Old 12 June 2013, 12:33 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Manifolds are known as headers.

The pics as said above look like the headers have been changed at some point as the standard ones are cast and look different to the ones in the pic.

Some of the aftermarket ones are a real nasty piece of work and actually slows the car down and looses power, there is a thread somewhere on here regarding it, someone was having issues which they traced to the cheap headers ( not implying yours are mind ) as soon as they changed back to standard ported ones the car picked up boost and instantly came to life, I think they gained something like 30-40hp by switching back to standard so that really says something......

Have a check through receipts and stuff if your not sure what they are and have a look I've also seen aftermarket ones split after not very much use so perhaps that's what your problem is?
Old 12 June 2013, 04:28 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Manifolds are known as headers.

The pics as said above look like the headers have been changed at some point as the standard ones are cast and look different to the ones in the pic.

Some of the aftermarket ones are a real nasty piece of work and actually slows the car down and looses power, there is a thread somewhere on here regarding it, someone was having issues which they traced to the cheap headers ( not implying yours are mind ) as soon as they changed back to standard ported ones the car picked up boost and instantly came to life, I think they gained something like 30-40hp by switching back to standard so that really says something......

Have a check through receipts and stuff if your not sure what they are and have a look I've also seen aftermarket ones split after not very much use so perhaps that's what your problem is?
Ah thanks

Yeah I posted a video once and some said it sounded like I had straight headers

I'm not experiencing any power loss just noticed like blowing under power at high revs and had a look and on that flex it is blowing.

So can I replace or would it be better to source original headers etc?

As far as I can tell everything looks in good shape except that flex section
Old 12 June 2013, 05:47 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

You really need to find out what headers they are first bud as they may well be perfectly fine so no need to revert back to standard. Flexi's can be changed on certain exhausts depending on where it is and how much rot is on the pipe, what makes you think its blowing then from there? The outer skin has totally gone from mine but the actual joint underneath was fine, its like a protective cover that's all, so if your looking at it and think its blowing because of that hole I can see then just double check it is actually blowing from there before condemning it, if your adamant its blowing then inspect it everywhere tidy by dropping the headers off, will give you an excuse to put new gaskets on as well then to eliminate any leaks, if your not confident with the spanners then get it to a garage to be inspected.

I was adamant mine was blowing as well so I have recently stripped it right down, complete exhaust and turbo off, to say the manifolds aint the best is an understatement and it was blowing in places I never realised, could see it clearly when I got the gaskets off
Old 12 June 2013, 06:58 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
You really need to find out what headers they are first bud as they may well be perfectly fine so no need to revert back to standard. Flexi's can be changed on certain exhausts depending on where it is and how much rot is on the pipe, what makes you think its blowing then from there? The outer skin has totally gone from mine but the actual joint underneath was fine, its like a protective cover that's all, so if your looking at it and think its blowing because of that hole I can see then just double check it is actually blowing from there before condemning it, if your adamant its blowing then inspect it everywhere tidy by dropping the headers off, will give you an excuse to put new gaskets on as well then to eliminate any leaks, if your not confident with the spanners then get it to a garage to be inspected.

I was adamant mine was blowing as well so I have recently stripped it right down, complete exhaust and turbo off, to say the manifolds aint the best is an understatement and it was blowing in places I never realised, could see it clearly when I got the gaskets off
Well if i put my hand over the top of the flexi i can feel it blowing out the top.

I shall head out side shortly and double check buddy
Old 12 June 2013, 07:11 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Get some OE headers and a de cat up pipe, sorted
Old 12 June 2013, 07:18 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by addi monster
Get some OE headers and a de cat up pipe, sorted
It's already decatted mate, keep finding all kinds of mods on this dam car, seriously why couldn't the seller just write an actual list of what's on and what was taken off

They seemed to have made so many mods, bigger turbo, taken mods off and never had a remap (don't panic I mapped it)
Old 12 June 2013, 07:43 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,

couple more pictures, it is definitely the flexi that has split

Old 12 June 2013, 08:08 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XDevil666
It's already decatted mate, keep finding all kinds of mods on this dam car, seriously why couldn't the seller just write an actual list of what's on and what was taken off

They seemed to have made so many mods, bigger turbo, taken mods off and never had a remap (don't panic I mapped it)
It may well be but that pipe wont marry up with the oe headers