Dreaded emissions - Wagon WRX 1994

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2013, 09:42 AM
tbrock34
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreaded emissions - Wagon WRX 1994

Guys,

I have already searched the forum for some advice on this with mixed answers so forgive me for covering what is probably an age old issue.

Car has failed on emissions - Fast idle 3.2 CO%, 125 HC and 0.912 Lambda.

VIN GF8-007412 Eng No EJ20 - date of first registration 30 - 04 1994

Tester in Action/London has found vehicle on system and carried out a Class 1 test based on a standard subaru turbo - it is a import WRX. On the assumption this is not an exact match I believe, and I have had a number of conversations with VOSA on this, then the tester needs to complete a BET test, if this fails, given age of car it needs a non cat test to achieve less than 3.5% 1200 HC and no lambda test. The garage are having none of it - The same crew incidentially failed my car in 2011 on emissions and once I moaned and asked them to speak to VOSA passed the following day. They are clearly not happy to do again - should have realised.

VOSA are stating that if the testers are referrring to the VCS (VTS)database then they shouldn't be as previous testers may have put information in incorrectly. At every test they are clear the car needs to be reviewed based on all the details on the car at that time of test and nothing else.

I have now taken to another centre but am pre-empting the same issues. Anyone have any ideas or advice? I am not ever sure the car given age has a lambda sensor (in fact being ignorant - must have) but if it is knackered perhaps I need to replace and see if it will achieve better emissions as if UK model - fear I might struggle.

Car had a second hand replacement STI (UK) back box fitted last year as existing was knacked. She is an old girl and insurance every year worth more than the vehicle but not keen to send out to the yard yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tim
Old 16 April 2013, 11:08 AM
wiggy1
Scooby Regular

Ask vosa to send you an email what you have stated above and if it fails show them the contents of the email from vosa
Old 16 April 2013, 11:36 AM
PJB1
Scooby Regular

I test in grays Essex in u could get here and will check it for u
Old 16 April 2013, 01:24 PM
tbrock34
Scooby Newbie

Thanks chaps :

VOSA did respond but do not actually answer the question fully (as is probably their way ) - which was what emission test should be carried out to the vehicle - see below:

Dear Mr Brock.

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 8th April 2013 concerning your MOT.

Based on the age of the vehicle alone the quoted test criteria appears to be correct.

A personal import must be tested according to its date of first use. The only exemption to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at time of test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards. If this is the case, then test to the next lower emission standard. e.g. A 1995 car first used in Africa has a letter from the engine manufacturer stating that the particular engine (engine number to be stated) cannot meet Catalyst emission limits, then use the pre cat limits of CO 3.5%, HC 1200ppm

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Still hoping where the car is currently - MOT retest due in day or so - will have a more positive outcome although again my understanding might be wrong. Based on the above it appears to be based on date of first use - I have the original Japan Certificate of Cancelled Registration which noted first registration (guess first use) April 94. I think I am right that UK wagon didnt even come in until 96?

It doesnt get any easier year on year - surely I could plant some trees and offset ............!!
Old 16 April 2013, 05:27 PM
K3ogh_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it terra cleaned