Notices

What is this for?

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2013, 05:43 PM
Rutt_Dj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this for?

Theres a grey plug above the gearbox, theres a black plug on the loom also!

The reason i ask is mine was unplugged and i dont know why!!
My car is a 2003 blob wrx
Thanks
Old 10 April 2013, 05:50 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rutt_Dj
Theres a grey plug above the gearbox, theres a black plug on the loom also!

The reason i ask is mine was unplugged and i dont know why!!
My car is a 2003 blob wrx
Thanks
Im not 100% sure, but one will be gear select switch, and the other Nps Switch? Why they would be unlpuuged I dont know, clutch replacement maybe and forgot to reconnect?

Are you geting the engine check light?

Rob
Old 10 April 2013, 05:52 PM
Rutt_Dj
Scooby Regular

Whats nps? Neutral position switch?

I dont know cos the previous owner has disconected all the engine lights! Obv cos of the problems it had when i bought it! Are the lights leds or bulbs behind the dash?
Old 10 April 2013, 05:53 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

As above or do you mean above the gearbox,under the centre consule?
Old 10 April 2013, 05:54 PM
Rutt_Dj
Scooby Regular

It hangs above my gear box, but im not sure where the loom goes to!
Old 10 April 2013, 08:14 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

If you really want to get this sorted you'd be best taking it to a Subaru boffin.

By what you have said above, sounds suspiciously like the owner had issues and tried to cover up any "evident issues" by disconnecting switches. This is so wrong in so many ways. The NPS switch are prone to give up when old or if additional power is pushed through the transmission, if this is the case with this, im not sure that unplugging it would help, thus why they would unplug from behind the dash to remove the light. Obviously without seeing this everyone is just jumping to conclusions that will not help you, but I would start by removing the clocks to see if all the wires and plugs are in place, its only a 5 min job.

You either bought the car as a lemon, or you got it cheap then?

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 10 April 2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10 April 2013, 09:48 PM
Rutt_Dj
Scooby Regular

I bought the car off a garage who had taken it in as a part ex, the car has full subaru history etc so i thought it was a good buy. Problems started a few month after buying it but i put that down to being quite high mileage (97,000)! Im not scared to takle issues my self and im quite confident at most mechanical issues, so iv nursed the car back to health (sort of)

Iv just never got round to sorting the dash out as all the codes that show on my reader are due to having a decat pipe without a remap, which is gettin remaped tomorro.

Just yesterday as i was putting my injectors in i noticed this plug was unclipped, so i clipped it together and it made no noticable difference to the car, so inwas curious to what it was
Old 10 April 2013, 09:58 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rutt_Dj
I bought the car off a garage who had taken it in as a part ex, the car has full subaru history etc so i thought it was a good buy. Problems started a few month after buying it but i put that down to being quite high mileage (97,000)! Im not scared to takle issues my self and im quite confident at most mechanical issues, so iv nursed the car back to health (sort of)

Iv just never got round to sorting the dash out as all the codes that show on my reader are due to having a decat pipe without a remap, which is gettin remaped tomorro.

Just yesterday as i was putting my injectors in i noticed this plug was unclipped, so i clipped it together and it made no noticable difference to the car, so inwas curious to what it was
I cant recall exactly what the plugs look like, but I recall there near one another. If one is the NPS switch, which is failing (possible same read for unplugging) then you would get a misfire code on your reader I think, which would hold you back when mapping (I THINK) Sorry for being Vauge, buts it been a while!
Old 10 April 2013, 10:05 PM
Rutt_Dj
Scooby Regular

Haha its ok rob, i had a new clutch, turbo, rocker cover gaskets and a new sump a few weeks ago maybe we unplugged it for some reason and forgot to plug it back in haha well i hope its not gonna stop me getting my car mapped tomorro