Notices

Decat question.

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2013, 10:54 AM
firthy22
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decat question.

I live in the Isle of Man and we have no MOT's over here so no need to worry about emissions etc.

After being a Honda owner for many years have finally ended up with a 2003 blobeye WRX as my daily driver to work which takes me over the mountain road with no speed limits.

The one thing I don't like about the WRX is the turbo lag between 2-3k revs and have been advised that removing all the Cats, fitting a K&N panel filter and having it remapped will make it a completely different car to drive.

My plan is to get the decats fitted and remapped when I come over to the mainland next month.

Already decided on the decat pipe for the 2nd & 3rd Cats but undecided about the Cat in the Uppipe.

When I was phoning around for quotes I received conflicting information. Scooby clinic told me that replacing the Cat in the uppipe wasn't necesarry as it doen't gain much or affect spooling up of the turbo.
Bob Rawle said that he would recommend replacing the uppipe, if only to be safe as these Cats can break up and the bits that break off can wreck your turbo.

Is it worth the extra cost of decatting the uppipe as I have read that changing the uppipe takes quite a long time and can be really awkward to fit ? Depending on the replies if I go ahead with this, should I get a slip jointed uppipe (Scoobyworld) or Flexi uppipe (Japspeed). These are the only 2 I can find unless someone has other recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any replies and opinions.

Last edited by firthy22; 09 April 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09 April 2013, 01:07 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Slip jointed for aftermarket, or see if you can get hold of an STi uppipe...
Old 09 April 2013, 01:21 PM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

Yes put an sti uppipe on dude , as bob says the cat can crack and go straight into your turbo
Old 09 April 2013, 02:10 PM
wagonwill
Scooby Newbie

+1 i would go for an Sti up pipe well worth doing.
Old 09 April 2013, 11:12 PM
cubbs
Scooby Regular

Hi firthy22,

Im on the Isle of Man too. I bought a bugeye wrx and ive decatted the car. Its not that i found it so slow its just i like modding stuff. I bought another oem exhaust manifold, ported that and an Sti uppipe. I bought a second hand Prodrive sports cat on this site. Also replaced the 3rd cat. I left the resonator section in place and my car came with an Afterburner vortex backbox. I heat wrapped all the exhaust parts up to and including the sports cat downpipe. Fitted a K and N panel filter, 3 port boost controller, walbro fuel filter, mishimoto intercooler hoses, new ngk plugs and an oil change. Car is now remapped and goes like stink. The brakes I think are poor so thats my next job.

Hardest jobs were removing the bolts from the turbo heatshield, removing shield and having to cut away part of the shield to fit it back around the prodrive sports cat.
The DEI insulation was a time consuming job. I removed the uppipe on a ramp and we loosened off the engine mounts to allow the old uppipe to come out. Sliding the sti one up wasnt too bad as i removed the heatshield.

Upgrade the brakes if you can first, i didnt as a guy was coming over to remap some cars so i had to get all this above work done first. Why not contact P.A.C.E motorsport in Union Mills to see when the ECUtec man is over next? Maybe a cheaper option for you that trip away on ferry.

Good Luck.
Old 09 April 2013, 11:46 PM
kam_engineer
Scooby Newbie

Hi lads newbe to scoobynet, and also on the IOM. I have a 2003 WRX STI UK Type. Are P.A.C.E. knowledgeable with suspension or only remaps?
Old 10 April 2013, 07:00 AM
cubbs
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Mine was remapped by A.D.Edmundson. Hes on here and the XLR8 forum on iom.

P.A.C.E. motorsport in Union Mills use someone else that does Ecutek, i didnt have my car ready last time they were Island.

What are you thinking of doing with your suspension? I want to mod mine too soon.
Old 10 April 2013, 10:40 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

How much are new sti up pipes from subaru?
Also, cant you just smash the cat out the std up pipe and just refit that?

Sorry for the questions, but no point starting a new thread on the same subject.

Cheers all
Old 11 April 2013, 06:26 PM
kam_engineer
Scooby Newbie

Hi cubbs got the usual nock on the two back struts so changing all for KYB ultra SR and new top mounts keeping original springs as happy with the ride height. About 40mm between wheel arch and tyre on standard 17 wheels. Had thought about coil overs but its an every day car and the ride may be a bit hard especially on manx roads.
Old 11 April 2013, 11:59 PM
cubbs
Scooby Regular

Let me know how you get with them new shocks please.
Old 12 April 2013, 09:20 AM
firthy22
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies. Just going to go with Japspeed pipe to replace 2nd/3rd Cats and a slip jointed up pipe and green panel filter from Scoobyworld.

Spoke with Ian at P.A.C.E and he has someone coming over in the next 2 months who does Ecutek remaps and charge will be about £350, he's still looking for another customer so Kam if you want yours remapping give Ian a phone.

Talking about suspension I've just gone with Prodrive springs and love them. Reduced rolled on the corners but not lowered it too much and ride isn't much different to standard. Next thing will be a 22mm Whiteline adjustable rear ARB with new droplinks if needed to help reduce understeer. From what I've read new springs and rear ARB are best handing mods for a road car.
Old 12 April 2013, 09:50 AM
cubbs
Scooby Regular

Did you see how much scoobyworld charge for postage to isle of man?

Scoobyparts postage price is cheap as.
Old 16 April 2013, 09:56 PM
kam_engineer
Scooby Newbie

Hi firthy22 will give Ian a ring Thursday/Friday see what he can do for my motor. Can you still get the Prodrive springs and if so where did you get yours.
Old 16 April 2013, 10:07 PM
cubbs
Scooby Regular

Firthy22 ive a spare oem set of headers ill sell if you want to port them and fit while youre replacing the other restrictive parts?
Old 16 April 2013, 11:13 PM
firthy22
Scooby Newbie

Kam hopefully Ian can help you out as he only needs one more car to make it viable to bring him over. I had to post on the forum to get the Prodrive springs and someone put me in touch with an ex Subaru dealer who had one set left and selling them off at half price. Suggest you post on here if you want a set and see if anyone can help.

Cheers Cubbs I'll speak with Ian about getting the headers ported and get back to you.

Ordered ARB and drop links so let you know the result when fitted.
Old 18 April 2013, 06:15 PM
kam_engineer
Scooby Newbie

OK firthy22 let you know how I get on. Might just keep original springs thanks though.
Old 18 April 2013, 08:33 PM
cubbs
Scooby Regular

There are some prodrive springs on egay now. They are blue type. I was bidding for them but changed my mind now. Just letting you know.
Old 18 April 2013, 08:36 PM
kam_engineer
Scooby Newbie

O.K. thanks will take a look.
Old 20 April 2013, 11:46 PM
kam_engineer
Scooby Newbie

Hi firthy22 I seen Ian today and he advised me to completely de-cat the exhaust, new non oiled panel air filter etc. before a remap.
He also advised whiteline anti lift kit since I am replacing the shocks and he would then do a four wheel alignment. I know he needs at least two cars but mine will not be ready till next month sorry if that holds you up mate.
Will give you a shout when I am ready unless you get sorted before hand.
Old 21 April 2013, 11:53 AM
firthy22
Scooby Newbie

No worries kam, next month suits me fine, I'm in no rush.

Already bought droplinks, rear ARB and droplinks this month and now it seems my feront discs are warped as I get wobble when braking at high speeds so had to order new Godspeed discs and pads, decided to replace all 4 discs and pads as the Godspeed deal was just too good.