Notices

Possible boost leak?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2013, 03:15 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible boost leak?

Hey all, new to the forum and also to owning a scooby!

I've recently purchased a 2004(53 plate) WRX wagon.

It's completely standard apart from the PPP pack which was already on it when I purchased, its got 72000 on the clock and has full service history from new.

Here's the problem, car ran perfect for the last few weeks but recently it seems to have lost some power, doesn't pin you back in your seat under acceleration like it did.

Reading the forums I'm thinking it may be a boost leak but being inexperienced with scoobies I don't really know.

Under acceleration at 3000+ RPM there is a faint whining sound that comes from what seems to be more passenger side of the engine.

It didn't do this when I first got it, and it only does it above 3000 RPM which I presume is when it's in boost, there is no CEL displayed.

Captured the sound on video, apologies for the poor quality/jangling keys, but I think you can just about hear the sound.

As I've only just got the car I've not had chance to get a boost gauge or code reader yet.

I'm going to get it in the garage this week but thought I'd ask some of the more experienced guys if they had any idea what it might be first.

Thanks in advance!

[VIDEO]

Last edited by ScoobyNoob79; 18 March 2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 18 March 2013, 06:51 PM
reaso wr1
Scooby Regular

Can't quite hear it but I had a whinning noise before turned out to be the gasket between the inter cooler and dump valve it was worn as I kept changing between the standard and turbo smart dumpvalve.
Old 18 March 2013, 07:54 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

Yeah sorry about the crappy video, best I could get off my phone.

Well as I haven't touched a thing I'm just presuming(hoping) that general wear & tear has caused a gasket or hose to fail, rather than something more serious.

Scott
Old 18 March 2013, 08:38 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

Watching the video back you can hear most at 32 seconds where I let off and then accelerate, although in the video it sounds more like the turbo spooling even though that noise was definately not there originally and boost was fine up until the point I heard it.

Scott
Old 18 March 2013, 08:51 PM
Wazz777
Scooby Regular

Could be the inlet pipe between the manifold and intercooler is loose or possibly the up pipe gaskets have worn and are leaking. If you accelerate from say 4th at low revs, does the noise sound louder than if you accelerate hard from a higher rpm?
Old 18 March 2013, 08:58 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wazz777
Could be the inlet pipe between the manifold and intercooler is loose or possibly the up pipe gaskets have worn and are leaking. If you accelerate from say 4th at low revs, does the noise sound louder than if you accelerate hard from a higher rpm?
Erm, maybe yes but I wouldn't say much louder...
Old 18 March 2013, 10:36 PM
Wazz777
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyNoob79
Erm, maybe yes but I wouldn't say much louder...
Hmmm, ok I would try sticking my ear down by the turbo and pull the throttle cable a few times and listen for any hissing noises. Could be up pipe leak

Trending Topics

Old 18 March 2013, 11:11 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wazz777
Hmmm, ok I would try sticking my ear down by the turbo and pull the throttle cable a few times and listen for any hissing noises. Could be up pipe leak
Tried listening for noises and also the soapy water trick, nothing, I've got it booked in for a smoke test so hopefully that will shed some light on it.

Hopefully it isn't anything serious and just a boost leak. Will keep this thread updated until it's resolved.

Scott
Old 19 March 2013, 01:58 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

Ok, so just got back from the garage.

They've ran a smoke leak test and found no leaks. Tested the wastegate and said its working fine, they read the ECU and said there is not a single code stored.

They took it for a drive and said everything feels fine to them.

So...is there anything else it could be?

BPV? Solenoid? Anyway to test?

Bad tank of fuel pulling back timing, but wouldn't this store a CEL?

The ECU adjusted to me driving like Miss Daisy as its new? Is this even possible? If so would it store a CEL?

Or....could it be me just getting used to the power? Before this I was driving round in the missus' 1.2 Clio!

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!

Scott
Old 19 March 2013, 03:04 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would a smoke test work for the exhaust side of the boost system? If your up-pipe is leaking I'm not sure if the smoke would point it out.

There is a chance you've just used to the torque. I remember feeling like my gut was inside out when first flooring it in my STI - but now the only time I'm reminded of how quick it is, is if I take an uneducated passenger and hear their gasp and see their hands flailing everywhere for something to grab onto

Rolling Road would probably be a good bet, they'll map your boost levels and see if it's below expected levels. I reckon a garage can get your headers and uppipe off and reseated with new gaskets for an hour or two of labour to rule that out.
Old 19 March 2013, 03:32 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fonzey
Would a smoke test work for the exhaust side of the boost system? If your up-pipe is leaking I'm not sure if the smoke would point it out.

There is a chance you've just used to the torque. I remember feeling like my gut was inside out when first flooring it in my STI - but now the only time I'm reminded of how quick it is, is if I take an uneducated passenger and hear their gasp and see their hands flailing everywhere for something to grab onto

Rolling Road would probably be a good bet, they'll map your boost levels and see if it's below expected levels. I reckon a garage can get your headers and uppipe off and reseated with new gaskets for an hour or two of labour to rule that out.

I don't know if the smoke test would find an up-pipe leak, never had one done before? Any other way to test?

I've had the car around 3 weeks, don't know if I'm used to the 'power' yet or not.

Think I'll order a boost gauge and get it fitted, at least then I can see what boost I'm getting and if it's holding.

What would the default boost be for a PPP WRX?

Cheers,
Scott
Old 20 March 2013, 02:47 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

So, bit of a development.

Drove the car this morning from normal operating temp and it still felt like it wasn't getting full boost. After about 30 minutes the car progressively seemed to get quicker and the exhaust note seemed to change, had a bit more 'growl' to it.

So I'm thinking up-pipe leak. Leaks more when cold and as the gasket warms up it seals itself a little but not fully.

Does this sound plausible?

Cheers,
Scott

Last edited by ScoobyNoob79; 20 March 2013 at 09:00 PM.