would a spun shell show in oil

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2013, 09:45 PM
starkie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would a spun shell show in oil

hi
not long bought a bug with suspected engine knock have removed the engine today and found 3 exhaust leaks around the turbo etc.
i wasnt 100% that it was the shells before removal but it was constant throughout the revs. car started and idled/reved etc ok and given how often i have heard of spun shells i assumed this to be the case (me bad)
i have since dropped the oil out car and can see nothing what so ever in the oil or filter now wondering if i dropped out the engine for exhaust leaks

i will tomorrow night drop the sump and have a look in their and the pick up pipe
but wondering if there is anything else to check while its out and without pulling it to bits too much
Old 17 March 2013, 10:15 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

You should see metal filings (very fine) and a sheen to the oil normally if its picked up on a bearing, anything metal to metal will cause filings of some sort over time.

You won't really see the damage unless you strip it down and pull the bearings from the crank.

Was there a definitive knock to it that got louder and faster under load, you can normally tell straight away if its a bottom end knock as it is a heavy sort of knock / growl that don't go away
Old 17 March 2013, 11:10 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whip the sump off you should be able to see it in there, This is what I found in my old one but that had a definate knock

Old 18 March 2013, 01:32 AM
starkie
Scooby Regular

Never really drove car as bought it this way but did inc with the revs though exhaust would do that too will drop the sump and check the valve clearances tomorrow just hope it doesnt look like that one pmsl.