WR1 not running right.

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2013, 01:37 AM
Smithy60 WR1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WR1 not running right.

Hello,

Can anyone help me with my problem on my WR1?

The engine management light is on, while the light is on thecar runs ok, I can feel there’s a power loss but doesn’t hesitate in top gear.

When I rest the light it runs crap on boost in 3th, 4th, 5thand 6th gear low down the rev range. Smoking quite bad out the rearof the car, by over fuelling. The issue it is bringing up with the diagnosticsis too rich blank one (fuel ratio mixture lambda).

I have replaced this lambda, did the rear (O2) one just tobe nice as it was coming up for its end of life time. This has made no differenceto the running of the car.

It is smoking/running as if it was losing boost but this isnot the case as it is solved when the light comes back on so this tells me itis electrical hence why it put me to the lambda in the first place. There ispower going to each lambda so that is not the issue.

I have a friend with a 2004 Sti that I could try parts offafter the lambda didn’t solve it so I have tried the following; Map sensor, MAFsensor, looked for small leaks and gasket failure, compression test, plugs arenew and gaped corrected, coil packs are working they show power and workingorder, checked the fuel pressure regulator has vacuum and there is no leakingpast the diaphragm through into the vacuum pipe to the inlet, disconnected the neutralswitch think it wants to see “0v” when working and in gear? Did not check forpower though as I couldn’t with what I had.

It is not the dump valve as I have taken it off as a just totry and see as I was

I feel it is something to do with the spark. Something to dowith an earth somewhere causing the problem, hence it is ok with the enginelight on. Maybe something to do with the neutral switch and an earth problem associated? Maybe an earth to the coil packs if ituses two?

There are earths at each inner wing, what are these to? Ihaven’t checked them but I will do when I get home in a few weeks’ time.

What earths should I check, are prone to going, what earthsgo where in the car so I can try all related to all of the above? Is there an earth to the MAF sensor or relatingparts?
I thought I was a good mechanic until this! L

I Cannot tell you the fault code(s) as I am away at work fora couple weeks.

Thanks for looking,
Jerry Smith

Old 17 February 2013, 10:43 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by Smithy60 WR1
Hello,

Can anyone help me with my problem on my WR1?

The engine management light is on, while the light is on thecar runs ok, I can feel there’s a power loss but doesn’t hesitate in top gear.

When I rest the light it runs crap on boost in 3th, 4th, 5thand 6th gear low down the rev range. Smoking quite bad out the rearof the car, by over fuelling. The issue it is bringing up with the diagnosticsis too rich blank one (fuel ratio mixture lambda).

I have replaced this lambda, did the rear (O2) one just tobe nice as it was coming up for its end of life time. This has made no differenceto the running of the car.

It is smoking/running as if it was losing boost but this isnot the case as it is solved when the light comes back on so this tells me itis electrical hence why it put me to the lambda in the first place. There ispower going to each lambda so that is not the issue.

I have a friend with a 2004 Sti that I could try parts offafter the lambda didn’t solve it so I have tried the following; Map sensor, MAFsensor, looked for small leaks and gasket failure, compression test, plugs arenew and gaped corrected, coil packs are working they show power and workingorder, checked the fuel pressure regulator has vacuum and there is no leakingpast the diaphragm through into the vacuum pipe to the inlet, disconnected the neutralswitch think it wants to see “0v” when working and in gear? Did not check forpower though as I couldn’t with what I had.

It is not the dump valve as I have taken it off as a just totry and see as I was

I feel it is something to do with the spark. Something to dowith an earth somewhere causing the problem, hence it is ok with the enginelight on. Maybe something to do with the neutral switch and an earth problem associated? Maybe an earth to the coil packs if ituses two?

There are earths at each inner wing, what are these to? Ihaven’t checked them but I will do when I get home in a few weeks’ time.

What earths should I check, are prone to going, what earthsgo where in the car so I can try all related to all of the above? Is there an earth to the MAF sensor or relatingparts?
I thought I was a good mechanic until this! L

I Cannot tell you the fault code(s) as I am away at work fora couple weeks.

Thanks for looking,
Jerry Smith

Hi Jerry

You might have to bite the bullet and pay a professional Subaru tuner to look at it. I'd be wanting to check the live data, and it doesn't sound as though you're doing that. Any of the mappers should be able to help, preferably if you can find one with the use of a workshop if the search needs to go further.
I can understand anyone's reluctance to pay someone else, but time and again I've seen people waste serious time and cash on parts when we could have gone right to it.
Old 17 February 2013, 07:23 PM
Smithy60 WR1
Scooby Newbie

Hi Alan,

Thanks for getting back to me! :-)

I was using the 5 grand snap-on computer with live data but this can only tell me so much. I have a friend with the 10 grand one that does it all live and will tell me every thing. I have spent a couple days looking at the car before I went away again to work so did not get the chance to look at it with the big computer.

Its not the money issue but just me having a look when it happend.

The reason for me putting up the post is to see if anyone knows what earth it is that has failed or where to look, I am sure this is the way to go so if I can do it with out traveling 4hours to a mapping place then it is always good.

I have a subaru garage I can take it to when I get home but againg if some one has seen this before and knows what I need to look for then I'll do that first.

I have two weeks of wiating out here so thought I would post this and see what peolple have to say.

Have you hade any earths failing linked to mi issue?

Jerry
Old 17 February 2013, 11:15 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Definately clean up all earth points you can find. I bought off e-bay a service disc for my bugeye that has the schematics of the wiring including earthing points and what they connect too. Not sure if later models are connected differently but could be worth a search and a few quid spent. I recently fitted a earthing kit to my bug and went slightly mad on cleaning the earth points in the engine bay and I am sure that it has sharpened things up a bit.
Just noticed in "tech topics" free manuals.

Last edited by 360ste; 17 February 2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 19 February 2013, 07:45 PM
Smithy60 WR1
Scooby Newbie

Cool, I'll do that when I get home. Seen the disc for sale and have it coming, a good tipe and thanks for the reply too!

Cheers.
Old 19 February 2013, 10:04 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by Smithy60 WR1
Hi Alan,

Thanks for getting back to me! :-)

I was using the 5 grand snap-on computer with live data but this can only tell me so much. I have a friend with the 10 grand one that does it all live and will tell me every thing. I have spent a couple days looking at the car before I went away again to work so did not get the chance to look at it with the big computer.

Its not the money issue but just me having a look when it happend.

The reason for me putting up the post is to see if anyone knows what earth it is that has failed or where to look, I am sure this is the way to go so if I can do it with out traveling 4hours to a mapping place then it is always good.

I have a subaru garage I can take it to when I get home but againg if some one has seen this before and knows what I need to look for then I'll do that first.

I have two weeks of wiating out here so thought I would post this and see what peolple have to say.

Have you hade any earths failing linked to mi issue?

Jerry
Common one is bad connections on multi plugs, water ingress etc.
Whenever we do an engine build we pay special attention to earthing, it's all part of the cleaning process.
Delta Dash is the best way to get at Scoobies, you can see it all going on nicely.
Old 19 February 2013, 11:07 PM
Smithy60 WR1
Scooby Newbie

Will try that and see, I'll go through each one and see what has gone wrong. It is all coming to geather now and I think I know were too look for the problem, something got my eye when I was looking at her so will try that first.

You have been a good help and thank's for your reply.