Classic & STI 8 bottom end

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2013, 01:39 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic & STI 8 bottom end

In looking to do the STI 8 bottom end in to my classic

Is it a direct fit as in I can buy my "00 heads on the v8 block ?

If so is it just block and head gaskets I would need ?

Is the v8 block good for 450ish bhp ?

Darcy
Old 16 February 2013, 02:13 PM
andy beffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Darc174
In looking to do the STI 8 bottom end in to my classic

Is it a direct fit as in I can buy my "00 heads on the v8 block ?

If so is it just block and head gaskets I would need ?

Is the v8 block good for 450ish bhp ?

Darcy
hi mate,,thats just what ive done,,i got a type r v4 98,,just got a late hawk eye sti 2.5 bottom end and my v4 sti 2.0 heads,2.5 thik head gasgets..mine just @ garage now geting fited,,you will need a ecl or simtek etc ecu 2 tho,,as i didnt no this till other day,,so keep money spare,,as i have had to gt a new clutch kit while engine out,,and now simtek eco to mapp it to the 2,5,,
and again i dont no how much they can take bhp wise???can eny1 els tell us??
are you using a standard 2.5 bottom end???
as mine had nitraded new crank,2.5 conrod,acl race bearings genuin sti pistons/rods
be good to no how much they can take tho mate,,
some 1 will be along in a min that nows theyr things and give u a strait anser ;] good luck
Old 16 February 2013, 02:21 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Yes it will bolt straight in and run on your heads

V7/8 Sti bottom ends are said to be the most reliable / sturdy motors out of the bunch, with the jdm v7/8 motors being the most favoured by choice.

I have a jdm blob an am running 453/440 on a standard motor

@ Andy with you running a 2.5 bottom end, have you had any head work done on your v4 heads? I thought they needed slight machining due to the combustion chambers on them being too small?
Old 16 February 2013, 02:30 PM
andy beffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Yes it will bolt straight in and run on your heads

V7/8 Sti bottom ends are said to be the most reliable / sturdy motors out of the bunch, with the jdm v7/8 motors being the most favoured by choice.

I have a jdm blob an am running 453/440 on a standard motor

@ Andy with you running a 2.5 bottom end, have you had any head work done on your v4 heads? I thought they needed slight machining due to the combustion chambers on them being too small?
hi mate,i bought a long engine off mattybr5@pole posision on here ;] good lads
it was all ready built and had just been ran in 1000miles on it :]
scooby clinic built it 5mnth ago
i got the paperwork here,,so i gues they have?????as its been ran in..the type r it came from was mint tbh,,
i just bought it as a direct replacment for my type r,,just conect inlet nd aux etc
saves me a lot of bother tbh,cos was going to forge the 2.0,,but its££££
again how much bhp will we be safe to run on these???
@ the mo im on vf24 turbo but im going for a bigger 1 in nxt few months,,
i got a gt35r on my evo 7 456 bhp but takes to long to spool,,i want a fast spool but 1 that will pull well up to 7k etc#

Last edited by andy beffro; 16 February 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 16 February 2013, 02:53 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Have you had the Evo pegged back with regards to the map then as that turbo should make alot more power than that on a proper setup.

On the setup of your 2.5 I would imagine it to be around the 450 marker as regarded as a "safe" setup, your best option would be to speak to Mat or the clinic as they would be able to offer you a much more sound opinion of it.

What kind of power are you hoping to make? As its gonna be a trade off between power and spool as you probably know but that said the 2.5 offers much better low down torque. An sc42, mdx321t or something along the lines of that would suit that motor lovely IMO, you will sacrifice a little more lower down spool, but on a good setup and mapped well then it will be marginal, there are 2.5 setups making good power on them turbos and they are not too lazy at the same time, I think the sc42 would be on full boost at around 33-3500rpm maybe a little earlier.

As a comparison i run an lm450, yes it is a twinscroll but considering I'm running a standard motor I'm at full boost of 1.8bar @3200ish rpm and spool starts from 1500rpm and pulls like a train right through, a 2.5 with the right turbo is more than capable of achieving the same kind of spool and power, mine spools just as quick if not slightly quicker than a stock vf35 which comes on the v8 Sti, so your 2.5 setup aint gonna be far off that with a good blower strapped to it, if your not bothered about hitting numbers I.E 450bhp then step down a size on the turbo and it will be mental, loads of low down torque and grunt that will be up and away in the blink of an eye, there are so many options bud you can be there for months trying to decide what's right for you, maybe go to a few meets and jump in a couple for a blast, that should firmly help you make your mind up

Last edited by Infected by sti; 16 February 2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 16 February 2013, 03:25 PM
andy beffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Have you had the Evo pegged back with regards to the map then as that turbo should make alot more power than that on a proper setup.

On the setup of your 2.5 I would imagine it to be around the 450 marker as regarded as a "safe" setup, your best option would be to speak to Mat or the clinic as they would be able to offer you a much more sound opinion of it.

What kind of power are you hoping to make? As its gonna be a trade off between power and spool as you probably know but that said the 2.5 offers much better low down torque. An sc42, mdx321t or something along the lines of that would suit that motor lovely IMO, you will sacrifice a little more lower down spool, but on a good setup and mapped well then it will be marginal, there are 2.5 setups making good power on them turbos and they are not too lazy at the same time, I think the sc42 would be on full boost at around 33-3500rpm maybe a little earlier.

As a comparison i run an lm450, yes it is a twinscroll but considering I'm running a standard motor I'm at full boost of 1.8bar @3200ish rpm and spool starts from 1500rpm and pulls like a train right through, a 2.5 with the right turbo is more than capable of achieving the same kind of spool and power, mine spools just as quick if not slightly quicker than a stock vf35 which comes on the v8 Sti, so your 2.5 setup aint gonna be far off that with a good blower strapped to it, if your not bothered about hitting numbers I.E 450bhp then step down a size on the turbo and it will be mental, loads of low down torque and grunt that will be up and away in the blink of an eye, there are so many options bud you can be there for months trying to decide what's right for you, maybe go to a few meets and jump in a couple for a blast, that should firmly help you make your mind up
ye mate my evo gt35r only on a chilled map tbh,,all standard internals,,so its safe ;]26psi on normal fuel,still 0-60 in 4sec and a stupid top end but the type r runing standard power feals nippyer around these roads down here,think its cos of the close ratio box and quick spool turbo,,the vf24 got no lag at all compared to mmy evos gt35r,gt35r not fully spooled till like 4200+ rpm
and cool to no that the type r will handle 450 bhp now :]
as for the turbo ,i would be happy with 400 bhp in the type r ,as its small it feall really nippy,,as im only 1 field away from anglesey race track,the 1 5th gear uses to test drive the new cars ;],,its my bk garden :]+free pass cos of the noise haha lol

Last edited by andy beffro; 16 February 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 16 February 2013, 04:05 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Well that's rather handy having that pass, I bet your a dab hand around the track then

If your aim is 400 with quick spool then maybe look at the mdx321H, sc38/40, mdx555 etc something along those lines you should be happy with, the latter mdx555 there is one currently for sale on here with little mileage for a decent price if you want to have a look.

The other option would be to go twinscroll route, cost a bit more money as you would have to source all the parts, I.E headers, uppipe, downpipe etc.

A 2.5 motor on a twinscroll setup is a good combo if spool is your aim, one of the tuners on here has a 2.5 running an LM500 turbo, don't get me wrong his engine is way way more advanced than what we are talking here, but he is getting full boost iirc at 2800ish rpm and that's 550/550 I beleive, that's gonna be neck snapping but a similar setup on a less engineered engine will still produce good results, but like I say it can cost a bit more to do, depends how deep your pockets are and another requirement would be for you to have an understanding bank manager and partner

Last edited by Infected by sti; 16 February 2013 at 04:07 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 16 February 2013, 08:43 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

I already run a stand alone ECU and I am running a STI 6speed

So I'm looking for replace the bottom end for a Sti 8

Just need one to pop up at the right price ,

What head gasket would I need ?

Darcy
Old 16 February 2013, 08:44 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

Also I'm after the 2.0 blob bottom end yeah? Not the 2.5
Old 16 February 2013, 09:42 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

I was advised by api to have the 1.6mm sti head gaskets on my sti8 engine, and i just put my original heads back on and a load of other parts replaced but its a great engine and yes from what ive heard they are ok for a safe 450 bhp if set up well by a good mapper etc.

Last edited by timmyajmy93wrx; 15 May 2013 at 03:47 PM.