Notices

2.5 wrx Trackday preparation, tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2013, 07:44 PM
Turbodanc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 wrx Trackday preparation, tips?

I want to do a few trackdays in my 2.5 impreza wrx this year and i just wondered is there anything i should be doing to the engine before hand to prepare it for the track?

I mean like maybe fitting a mocal front mount oil cooler or other things like that?

Any help would be great
Old 05 February 2013, 08:17 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

A credit card for after lol
Old 05 February 2013, 08:19 PM
Turbodanc
Scooby Regular

Lol, ok serious tips only please!
Old 05 February 2013, 08:53 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the oil - maybe to higher viscosity.
Don't go above 5000 RPM.
Do not use new tyres - unless very wet.
Go easy on brakes (unless upgraded) and have a cool down lap.
Old 06 February 2013, 07:15 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Oil cooler would probably be a good move on a 2.5 definitely oil temp/pressure gauges so you know what's happening!

Short shift (slightly as the 2.5s are weaker at high revs, make sure you have a good oil, probably a 10-50 or 10-60w
Old 06 February 2013, 09:04 AM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

Just make sure its had an oil change recently and that's the engine sorted.

Main thing is brakes and tyres, OEM brakes will be pretty much useless in a couple of laps if you're lucky with WRX 4 pots, so i'd highly recommend getting them sorted otherwise you'll have a pretty rubbish day. And make sure you've got some decent tyres. Also some gauges really do help keep an eye on things for not much cash, i've got Prosports in mine and they're ideal for keeping an eye on oil pressure and temp during track time.

If its your first trackday you won't be exploring the maximum cornering G forces so like said short shift the engine and job done.

Don't know about the 2.5's but my 2005 STi 2.0 doesn't need an oil cooler for normal trackdays as i only get to about 120 degrees which is fine for a decent synthetic oil.
Old 06 February 2013, 10:07 AM
Turbodanc
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys!

It's my first track day in the impreza but I have done a few before in other cars. Why do you both say not to rev it over 5k? What will happen if I do?

Also the brakes are the uprated 'Godspeed' 335mm kit that uses the standard caliper. Also has BC racing coilovers with camber bolts and adjustable top mounts which were set up on a 4 wheel alignment machine a while ago.

So it looks like I just need some good tyres and maybe some gauges to keep an eye on things.

Trending Topics

Old 06 February 2013, 10:35 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Don't drop much below a 1/4 tank of fuel. Despite the swirl device in the tank, they can still surge. I can't see why running to the normal rev limit would hurt it to be honest, just don't go missing gears!
I would advise anybody using switchable mapping to run low boost on track days. Apart from anything else, it's about your driving and getting the best out of the lines, not batting down the straight bits!
Old 06 February 2013, 10:54 AM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

To be fair i take mine right to the red line all the time on track days with my 2.0, i don't know much about the 2.5's other than the horror stories!
Old 06 February 2013, 10:59 AM
Turbodanc
Scooby Regular

I see what you mean about the fuel, illhave to make sure its topped up all the time.

These so called horror stories are what's makeing me ask these questions! Although its the same old forum problem, just because you never see people putting up threads saying how great there 2.5 is and all you read are the ones where they have broke you automatically think there bad engines.
Old 06 February 2013, 05:44 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbodanc
Thanks for the replys!

It's my first track day in the impreza but I have done a few before in other cars. Why do you both say not to rev it over 5k? What will happen if I do?

Also the brakes are the uprated 'Godspeed' 335mm kit that uses the standard caliper. Also has BC racing coilovers with camber bolts and adjustable top mounts which were set up on a 4 wheel alignment machine a while ago.

So it looks like I just need some good tyres and maybe some gauges to keep an eye on things.
Because there is not much more beyond 5000 rpm and the oil will be doing less work from lower friction loss and so will the pistons, big ends etc.
Don't forget that kinetic energy obeys the square of the velocity.
Thus the kinetic energy of the pistons at 7000 rpm is almost double (49/25) that experienced at 5000 RPM.
You can rag it if you want, but I wouldn't bother.
If you want to get one guage, I would suggest oil temp.
Tyres - you don't necessarily want "good" ones. Either track oriented tyres or worn road tyres. The thing with road tyres is that they will soon overheat and fall to pieces, especially if the tread is not worn down. I'd go for road tyres with about 3mm of tread ideally.
I use Yoko AD08s on the track myself as they are road legal and seem to last pretty well.
Old 06 February 2013, 05:58 PM
Turbodanc
Scooby Regular

That makes sense, like you say there's probably not much power after that anyway really.