Notices

Trouble Boosting

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2013, 10:12 PM
Jay Lee
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Boosting

I havve an impreza bugeye and i'm having trouble with the boost. With the pill in place it will boost to a bar but if i install and mbc it won't go past half bar. Ive tried various mbc's and its always the same. Ive installed the mbc in various ways but no joy. When i remove the mbc and put original pipework with pill back on it boosts back to a bar. Been told could be the wastegate/actuator ?????
Old 15 January 2013, 11:23 PM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

If the cars working fine as standard then I would suspect the boost controller is plumbed wrong. The wastegate is working fine if it's keeping to 1 bar standard as is the turbo and everything else too.
Old 15 January 2013, 11:28 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Jay, Jason is right, why try and fix something that isnt broken?

If your after more power then this is the wrong way going about it.

Oh and welcome to Snet

Rob
Old 15 January 2013, 11:39 PM
Jay Lee
Scooby Newbie

Hi Jas thanks for the reply. Ive tried various ways of plumbing it in but always get the same result. Just seems strange why when i put the mbc in and remove the pill it won't go past half bar ??? And thanks Rob and see your point but want to set the mbc up before i put on myb td05 really... ive never had these probs before and ive had mbc's on most of my previous scoobs.
Old 15 January 2013, 11:42 PM
Jay Lee
Scooby Newbie

I forgot to Add when im going through the gears the boost drops quite a bit ????
Old 16 January 2013, 07:22 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have to ask, why are you fitting an MBC anyway.
Just get your car remapped to the correct boost, job done.
Old 16 January 2013, 04:29 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Jay your going about it all wrong, you pretty much insinuating that your going to fit a larger TD05 in place of the TD04 and expect the bleed or whatever the MBC valve is to boost your car properly without the ECU understanding (mapped to suit) the desired affects, thus the fueling etc will be all wrong.

The Subaru ECU is quite inteligent and has the ability to self learn, but not outside the normal charactaristics of the standard components. So you really need to REMAP the Ecu for the simplest of changes, for example, full decat from standard will overboost and possible lean the mixture, the cure is a remap, turbo upgrade or even down grade from standard will equally lean out or richen (if thats such a word) hence remap needed, intercooler change will alter the charge temps ....... I think you get the idea.

Good luck

Rob
Old 16 January 2013, 06:19 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Jay your going about it all wrong, you pretty much insinuating that your going to fit a larger TD05 in place of the TD04 and expect the bleed or whatever the MBC valve is to boost your car properly without the ECU understanding (mapped to suit) the desired affects, thus the fueling etc will be all wrong.

The Subaru ECU is quite inteligent and has the ability to self learn, but not outside the normal charactaristics of the standard components. So you really need to REMAP the Ecu for the simplest of changes, for example, full decat from standard will overboost and possible lean the mixture, the cure is a remap, turbo upgrade or even down grade from standard will equally lean out or richen (if thats such a word) hence remap needed, intercooler change will alter the charge temps ....... I think you get the idea.

Good luck

Rob
Robs right mate , leave the mbc alone , it's not gonna do any good ,you're gonna end up with it throwing cels , cutting and the ecu constantly trying to pull stuff back
trust me mate if theres a cheap or easy way to get more power myself and many others have tried it ( as im sure rob will confirm ) you're only way forward is having it mapped

Last edited by toneh; 16 January 2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Changed the mbc won't help long term to wont help ( at all )
Old 16 January 2013, 06:35 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Please dont use the mbc, fit the parts that you are going to fit and get a mapper to set the fuelling and boost or the next post you will be making will be "help car is smoking and using oil" or knocking. i know its your car but honestly do it correctly or it will end in tears
Jay
Old 16 January 2013, 07:48 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Were not all doom and gloom Jay (OP), there are very good cheaper ways of making more power safely and effectively without spending thousands like some would (me included) to do it right, and to do it as a furture proof longterm plan would be into 5 figures £ number.

From a basic newage (2001 onwards WRX) for good power can be done for £600 ish, and the car would be so much more responsive. The obvious would be, Panel filter £30, STI Pink Injectors £100, VF35 or similar £250, Walbro £70, decat £100, Remap £250 and sell on the parts you removed, which should return £100+ or so.

Some of the above can be had for much less, ive sold 2nd hand walbro in the past for £40, panel filters for £15, injectors for £75, VF35 £220, etc

Prices very vastly on there, but in essence you pay for what you get. a 100'000 mile VF35 is obviously going to be much less than a 40'000 miler.

Best of luck bud, but please dont learn the hard way, and if in doubt google or search on here for more info, everyone bar the chancers will tell you the same.

Rob