Notices

Ran Dry Of Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2013, 08:27 AM
J15CK D
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran Dry Of Oil

sadly i made the mistake of not checking my oil level, ran her dry last night, soon as i heard as tapping noise i pulled over and turned the engine off, wasnt ran for more than 50yards when i heard the noise, could i just get away with putting oil back in? anything i should check for? what damage has possibly been done?

Many Thanks Jack
Old 02 January 2013, 08:34 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Where did you deduce you'd ran dry? Did you check on a dead flat surface? Did the oil light come on?
Old 02 January 2013, 08:45 AM
J15CK D
Scooby Newbie

checked on a flat surface nothing registered on the dipstick, the worrying thing is that no oil light came on to warn me
Old 02 January 2013, 08:46 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

oil change and pray
Old 02 January 2013, 08:50 AM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fill oil , take crank sensor off prime car to get it circulated then hope for best mate
Old 02 January 2013, 08:50 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J15CK D
checked on a flat surface nothing registered on the dipstick, the worrying thing is that no oil light came on to warn me
By the time the oil light comes on its to late.

If the shells were rattleing know amount of oil changing is gonna fix it. going to need a rebuild.

Last edited by Turbotits; 04 January 2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02 January 2013, 10:23 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I have no sympathy for anyone who doesn't check their oil.

Unless your car has a major leak or is already knackered it would have taken several thousand miles to run dry. That's many many tanks of fuel without lifting the bonnet.

Your oil light is there to indicate you have zero oil pressure, not as a low warning. I don't know but I would imagine the oil light would stay off even with less than a litre of oil left.
Old 02 January 2013, 10:41 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because the dipstick isn't showing a reading it doesn't mean it's bone dry as the dipstick only messures the first 1-2 litres.

Is it the 2.5 engine by any chance?
Old 02 January 2013, 10:44 AM
J15CK D
Scooby Newbie

really gutted how foolish i have been, certain to say i know to check in future! yes its the 2.5
Old 02 January 2013, 10:49 AM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

How long you had the hawk you know they drink oil don't you ? Just chuck oil in might be lucky u never know
Old 02 January 2013, 11:01 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L.J.F
Just because the dipstick isn't showing a reading it doesn't mean it's bone dry as the dipstick only messures the first 1-2 litres.

Is it the 2.5 engine by any chance?
^^^whs.

My forester is a 2.5 and the difference between max and min is only half a litre. Unless the car is absolutely level it can show as empty, very sensitive due to the angle the dipstick enters the sump I believe.
Old 02 January 2013, 11:09 AM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

If its a hawk STI and the oil has suddenly vanished, there is every chance it's the piston ring lands that have failed. It might not necessarily be the op's fault that it ran dry of oil very quickly!
Old 02 January 2013, 11:15 AM
snake1906
Scooby Regular

as sonic said although if it is nearly dry id change the filter and drain every last bit of the old oil before putting in fresh then dry crank and fingers crossed,good luck m8
Old 02 January 2013, 11:27 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark@wrx
If its a hawk STI and the oil has suddenly vanished, there is every chance it's the piston ring lands that have failed. It might not necessarily be the op's fault that it ran dry of oil very quickly!
It's a fair point although the op admitted he hadn't checked it.
Old 02 January 2013, 12:55 PM
J15CK D
Scooby Newbie

i need the car moved, before i tow it is there anything i need to do?
Old 02 January 2013, 01:19 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

i need the car moved, before i tow it is there anything i need to do?
Why not just take some oil with you and try and start it, if it's already damaged I cant see how you could make it any worse?
Old 02 January 2013, 09:21 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pflowers
Why not just take some oil with you and try and start it, if it's already damaged I cant see how you could make it any worse?
As mentioned, fill it up and see what happens.
Old 02 January 2013, 11:56 PM
t4and greys
Scooby Regular

surely i cant be the only one sitting here thinking is it dead then ???

if so gutted for ya ,but if ok then wooohooo ,just keep checking the oil regularly
Old 03 January 2013, 10:14 AM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Your not but what has he got to lose by trying some oil in it first?
Old 03 January 2013, 11:20 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by super_ted
Your not but what has he got to lose by trying some oil in it first?
If as he said, it developed a tapping noise, something was starved of oil. As it doesn't have hydraulic valve lifters, the next obvious things to develop excessive clearance are bearings. At the very least, he should drain what is left in the sump and examine it (and the filter) for evidence of metallic particles or metallic 'sheen' in the oil. If there is, things will only get worse by re-filling and running.

JohnD
Old 03 January 2013, 05:56 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pflowers
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I have no sympathy for anyone who doesn't check their oil.

Unless your car has a major leak or is already knackered it would have taken several thousand miles to run dry. That's many many tanks of fuel without lifting the bonnet.

Your oil light is there to indicate you have zero oil pressure, not as a low warning. I don't know but I would imagine the oil light would stay off even with less than a litre of oil left.
Harsh, yes, but maybe you don't have the full details.

Instructions to check oil comprise car must be level and cold. My drive is quite a steep slope and my parking at work is not level so I rarely park somewhere on the level long enough for it to be tested when cold so most of my checking is done after filling with petrol. ie when hot. Either way, getting a definitive result is nigh on impossible as mine has different readings depending on which side of the dipstick you look at.

I have knackered my big ends in the past probably as a result of taking a roundabout at high speed and I guess getting oil surge. When I checked my oil level at the time it was just below half way between max and min when previously it didn't budge between services.
Old 03 January 2013, 08:25 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gdavey
Harsh, yes, but maybe you don't have the full details.

Instructions to check oil comprise car must be level and cold. My drive is quite a steep slope and my parking at work is not level so I rarely park somewhere on the level long enough for it to be tested when cold so most of my checking is done after filling with petrol. ie when hot. Either way, getting a definitive result is nigh on impossible as mine has different readings depending on which side of the dipstick you look at.

I have knackered my big ends in the past probably as a result of taking a roundabout at high speed and I guess getting oil surge. When I checked my oil level at the time it was just below half way between max and min when previously it didn't budge between services.
I fully understand and accept what you are saying, I have exactly the same problem checking the oil level on both of mine. I always check when hot, and seem to get a far more consistent reading, however I always make sure it's right up on the max as the dipstick always reads higher when hot.

FYI both my Subaru manuals make no reference that you should check the oil when cold, only that if checking when warm it could be as high as the notch above the maximum due to expansion of the oil.

However none of this is relevant as the OP freely admits he didn't check his oil...
Old 03 January 2013, 09:39 PM
t4and greys
Scooby Regular

well im siding with the fact it musnt have gone well for the chap ,and topping it up hasnt worked

if so genuinly feel sorry for the guy ,have only just removed her indoors engine from her scooby due to previous owner doing the very same ... so know full well what a ballache it is

lets be honest if topping it up worked im sure he would have posted to say so

cmon the suspense is killing me , us .... cant dangle said carrot like that and not update with the verdict
Old 03 January 2013, 10:54 PM
J15CK D
Scooby Newbie

Been told by a mechanic its a new build! Live and learn! Il never not check again! Going to sorn her now, looks like a complete build is on the cards, 400 horses is going to be the aim!
Old 03 January 2013, 11:01 PM
tattoosi
Scooby Regular

oh dear
Old 03 January 2013, 11:05 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

^
Not the wisest comment to go chasing numbers when you don't understand basic requirements / good luck tho
Old 03 January 2013, 11:46 PM
t4and greys
Scooby Regular

Been told by a mechanic its a new build! Live and learn! Il never not check again! Going to sorn her now, looks like a complete build is on the cards, 400 horses is going to be the aim!

good on ya pal
and thats definately the best way of thinking too mate ,get building it yourself mate much more satisfaction too

good luck with the build and aim too fella

lets be fair lads he made on oversight or error of judgement it happens , its not about why or how ,just how you deal with things that count

Last edited by t4and greys; 03 January 2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04 January 2013, 05:41 AM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Does this mechanic no subaru s ? Also did u try oil ?
Old 04 January 2013, 07:21 AM
J15CK D
Scooby Newbie

not chasing numbers, going to learn by my mistake and hopefully get the knowledge that i clearly need for the car! Will get some pictures up asap, The Tech's been in the game for years...havent tried putting anymore oil in her to be honest, think it will just be a waste?
Old 04 January 2013, 07:57 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

I just don't get this, if you haven't put any oil in the car then how has someone made a judgement as to what is wrong as presumably it hasn't been started?

There could be absolutely nothing wrong with the car, and nobody could possibly say otherwise until the oil is added and its fired up.

I think I would be willing to risk losing a gallon of oil rather than pay out for a rebuild that may not be needed.

Quick Reply: Ran Dry Of Oil