Notices

v3 type r check engine light with codes. help please

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2012, 07:19 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Question v3 type r check engine light with codes. help please

hi guys i have had another engine fitted in my v3 type r as this was the problem to my previous post. anyway engine fitted with new gaskets etc and fired up first time. everything great except its idling high when upto temp and cel light is on. the codes that come up are 31 throttle position sensor and 22 engine knock sensor. ive checked for air leaks but cant see any pipes off or split and majority of them are new. ive tried another tps of same version running car and idle air control valve and still no luck. ive also tried another maf and ecu from same year car and still check engine light is on. when i fitted the other idle air control valve the revs dropped a little down to 1500 from 2100. the engine knock sensor is cracked so have ordered another.

just abit stuck where to go from now as to getting it idling properly and sort the cel.

ive tried resetting the ecu with leaving battery disconnected but soon as started it stays on.

any ideas please
Old 31 December 2012, 04:11 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like an air leak. try spraying a bit of wd40 around some of the joints and see if the engine speed or note change.
Old 01 January 2013, 04:10 PM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

Have you adjusted the throttle body and switch? Make sure someone hasn't adjusted the throttle stop screw out too far. Give the throttle body a thorough clean and adjust the stop screw so the butterfly is almost fully closed, Just at the point it doesn't' get stuck on a quick release from wot and also the tsp is adjusted properly. Check the voltage out of the tps. One of the outputs should be around 0.5v with ignition on at closed throttle which will reach over 4v at full throttle. There will also be an earth and a +5v feed which remain constant. The base closed throttle of 0.5v is important for a good idle.
Old 01 January 2013, 09:01 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

thanks il try that this week. i had a quick look earlier and screw is out but seems like the spring isnt strong enough anymore. if i let it idle and try close it off further with my hand it drops the revs but then soon as i let go it goes up again. the cable is slack enough so there is nothing i can see keeping it open except possible wear. would this fault bring up the tps code? thanks
Old 01 January 2013, 09:05 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

ive tried wd40 arround joints and new gaskets and no change in idle.
Old 02 January 2013, 01:48 AM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezagaz
thanks il try that this week. i had a quick look earlier and screw is out but seems like the spring isnt strong enough anymore. if i let it idle and try close it off further with my hand it drops the revs but then soon as i let go it goes up again. the cable is slack enough so there is nothing i can see keeping it open except possible wear. would this fault bring up the tps code? thanks
Yeah it sounds like the throttle needs adjusting. First clean all the carbon and gunge .Then with the ignition on check the throttle sensor output at closed throttle. You can adjust it by loosening the 2 small Phillips screws and turning the sensor. Make sure butterfly is set right first though. There is a stop screw I think with an 8mm spanner size nut loosen it and turn the screw to set right.