Exhaust advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2012, 12:57 PM
scooby noob
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust advice please.

Hi,

I am nearing replacing my whole exhaust system as my 2002 bug still has it's factory original exhaust on it. I have no clue with exhausts. I am after something that has a nice sound , but not too loud. Also one that would not require a re-map as funds are limited at present. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 29 December 2012, 08:10 PM
scooby noob
Scooby Regular

Can anyone please tell me what exhaust system they have e.g cat back, full Decat, decat up pipe , and the make and how noisy they rate it? Just to give me a rough idea. I understand to get the full benifit of a new system a remap is required. But can any of these be done without one for the time being? Sorry if all this is covered else where but I didn't find anything after a search.
Old 29 December 2012, 08:20 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is yours a bug WRX or STi ?

Shaun
Old 30 December 2012, 12:18 AM
scooby noob
Scooby Regular

Hi, Sorry forgot to put that. It's a bog standard wrx no mods.
Old 30 December 2012, 12:41 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bug WRX will simply handle anything you can throw at it on the exhaust change front........the ECU simply compensates as the small TD04 turbo doesn't flow that much air

You will get a lit CEL P0420 if you remove the downpipe cat but nothing will change on the performance front..

Why are you changing the whole system? it should still be servicable even after all these years and if you want to change the sound then go for a new back box.. cheap as chips.

Have you got the original two pipe peashooter

sHAUN
Old 30 December 2012, 11:49 AM
scooby noob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
The Bug WRX will simply handle anything you can throw at it on the exhaust change front........the ECU simply compensates as the small TD04 turbo doesn't flow that much air

You will get a lit CEL P0420 if you remove the downpipe cat but nothing will change on the performance front..

Why are you changing the whole system? it should still be servicable even after all these years and if you want to change the sound then go for a new back box.. cheap as chips.

Have you got the original two pipe peashooter

sHAUN

Cheers for the reply Shaun.

Also thank you for the information. The whole system is badly corroded and i've already had the center section welded up. The part that joins to the engine is leaking as it has holes in it aswell and i can smell it through the heating when it's on. The two pipe peashooter back box is the only piece that looks ok really.

Paul
Old 30 December 2012, 12:27 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Get onto ebay and try to find a used stainless cobra system. I picked up a full 3 inch turbo back setup for 150 quid, receipts etc were included in the package and amounted to well over 500 quid, best bit was it was pretty much brand new.
Old 10 January 2013, 05:28 PM
scooby noob
Scooby Regular

can anyone give me an opinion on these please?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3504730873...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1709683784...84.m1423.l2649
Old 10 January 2013, 05:37 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

no point going for anything larger than a 2.5" until you are running over 350\400...

sorry can't advise on the e-bay links its blocked at work...keep an eye on here for a second hand cat back system.
Old 10 January 2013, 05:40 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

2.5" or 3" will do grand, exhausts dont release as much hp as some people make out so it comes down to preference.
First one seems too cheap so chances are it will be a crap fitment and will rust at the joins.
Second one.. well, I wouldnt.

Keep an eye on ebay though, you can get a full turbo back system for 150 ish from a decent manufacturer, it doesnt have to be newage, a classic saloon system will still fit the newage cars, only one hanger is rotated the wrong way but makes no difference, I have one and it is no problem at all, I dont even use that hanger.
Old 10 January 2013, 05:55 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

you will have less back pressure with a 3" system which will increase the spool time on your standard TD04...its not all about sticking the biggest 'zorst on it you can; you need to match your mods. Run as small a system as possible without it being restrictive, the same principle as running the smallest turbo you can to reach the power you are aiming for to reduce spool time and make it a nicer car to drive. HTH
Old 10 January 2013, 06:01 PM
G4rfo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh6bj...ature=youtu.be

mine i am selling

cat back system
Old 10 January 2013, 07:01 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
you will have less back pressure with a 3" system which will increase the spool time on your standard TD04...its not all about sticking the biggest 'zorst on it you can; you need to match your mods. Run as small a system as possible without it being restrictive, the same principle as running the smallest turbo you can to reach the power you are aiming for to reduce spool time and make it a nicer car to drive. HTH
I dont agree. The uppipe has a far bigger impact on spool as it comes directly from the headers, the exhaust is after the turbo so apart from allowing a little more timing towards higher revs, it makes little if any difference to spool. Adding a bell mouthed downpipe would help get the exhausted gases out too. It is down to personal preference rather than functionality for the high majority of users.
Old 10 January 2013, 07:49 PM
scooby noob
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. Appreciate all the replys. I've been keeping my eye out for a month or so now, But have stepped up my search after the weld i had done gave up. I've asked scott at scoobyspares but he only had a full decat system and i can't be arsed with swapping it over when it's mot time. I just wanted something that wasn't too noisy and i'm not really keen on a mssive back box either. So 2.5" or 3" would be ideal. Just for a laugh earlier i phoned my local subaru dealer and they wanted 750 ish + vat for a cat back standard system ha ha ha ha. I actually laughed at the chap when he told me .
Old 10 January 2013, 07:51 PM
scooby noob
Scooby Regular

G4rfo what size through pipe is your exhaust? Also what size is the back box?
Old 10 January 2013, 07:55 PM
G4rfo
Scooby Regular

would say 3 inc dude

some pics,i will take pics of system tommorrow

Old 10 January 2013, 08:02 PM
scooby noob
Scooby Regular

Tidy looking motor. Cheers g4rfo. I am at college tomorrow so i wont be able to reply to any messages sent tomorrow until evening time. )
Old 10 January 2013, 08:03 PM
G4rfo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby noob
Tidy looking motor. Cheers g4rfo. I am at college tomorrow so i wont be able to reply to any messages sent tomorrow until evening time. )

np dude
and cheers shes getting there
Old 10 January 2013, 08:10 PM
scooby noob
Scooby Regular

So a 3" through system is not going to increae my spool time? I have no other mods at the mo. I didn't even think about anything like that .

Originally Posted by brendy76
I dont agree. The uppipe has a far bigger impact on spool as it comes directly from the headers, the exhaust is after the turbo so apart from allowing a little more timing towards higher revs, it makes little if any difference to spool. Adding a bell mouthed downpipe would help get the exhausted gases out too. It is down to personal preference rather than functionality for the high majority of users.
Old 10 January 2013, 08:12 PM
G4rfo
Scooby Regular

be all ok unless u fully de-cat i would say
Old 10 January 2013, 08:20 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby noob
So a 3" through system is not going to increae my spool time? I have no other mods at the mo. I didn't even think about anything like that .
No it wont, I didnt add a decat uppipe at the time that I replaced the turbo back system and noticed no gain either in butt dyno nor logginga lot of driving.
When I swapped the decat uppipe in, I added a bigger turbo too and it did help the spool up time a little but not much.
Old 10 January 2013, 08:37 PM
scooby noob
Scooby Regular

Ok, Good to know. Cheers brendy.

No it wont, I didnt add a decat uppipe at the time that I replaced the turbo back system and noticed no gain either in butt dyno nor logginga lot of driving.
When I swapped the decat uppipe in, I added a bigger turbo too and it did help the spool up time a little but not much.
Old 11 January 2013, 01:36 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

The up-pipe does have a greater impact on spool but if your exhaust is capable of flowing more than your engine the exhaust will run cool which will increase back pressure.

It probably is negligible but the sum of all getting all those details right will have an impact on the way the car drives.
Old 11 January 2013, 01:38 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

OE downpipe narrows to 2.5" so you didn't notice any difference because the 2.5" restriction was still in place...regardless of the size of the system after that point.
Old 11 January 2013, 02:25 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

OE downpipe narrows to 2.5" so you didn't notice any difference because the 2.5" restriction was still in place...regardless of the size of the system after that point.
I fitted a full true 3" system not just a downpipe though.
Old 11 January 2013, 02:55 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

I fitted a full true 3" system not just a downpipe though.
post seems to say you have done both at different times?

Old 11 January 2013, 04:49 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Uppipe and downpipe are two different things.
Old 11 January 2013, 04:56 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Uppipe and downpipe are two different things.
that will teach me to do two things at once...how embarrassing, appologies for the misquote

stand by my statement on the exhaust size though
Old 11 January 2013, 10:36 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

that will teach me to do two things at once...how embarrassing, appologies for the misquote

stand by my statement on the exhaust size though
Not a problem fella. As I said it is up to the individual and their personal taste to a large degree, I dont like companies making claims of 15 bhp etc a little clarity is needed on that front.
Old 12 January 2013, 02:42 PM
scooby noob
Scooby Regular

So if i fit a 3" cat back system will i need to change my uppipe aswell?

Quick Reply: Exhaust advice please.