Notices

Wet back seat

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2012, 03:22 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wet back seat

Hi, noticed quite a bit if condensation on my back window recently. Sat on the back seat to investigate and realised that the back seat was pretty wet - not soaking but damp.
No had much sex on the back seat recently so it's not that!!

My drive has a fair downhill incline and I park front first ie back end is higher than the front. Do you think that with all the rain that we've had that the drainage channels round the book are overflowing and maybe seeping under the back window seal? I had a quick look in the boot and there is no evidence if any water there...

Any hints or advice would be greatly appreciated. It's a 2005 blobeye.

Ps if i park backwards ie with the front higher than the rear could water drain into the air scoop and onto the intercooler? Surely this cannot be good for it??
Old 26 December 2012, 03:32 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you had the rear window replaced?

Reason I ask is a friend had this same problem a few years ago. When they cut the old screen out they had gone through to the meatal and over time it began to rust and let water in which would drip onto his back seam if he parked on a slope.
Old 26 December 2012, 04:11 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Intercooler will wet when it's rains and when you Wash the car, think about all the water a front mount will get, as long as all the pipes and clamps are tight that won't be an issue.
Old 26 December 2012, 04:37 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies. As far as I know the rear windscreen hasn't been replaced I only got it in August (from the man who had it from new and he seemed pretty straight up) and the rear window still has the original dealer sticker on it so assume that it's original.

It's just slightly annoying, I'll try and park it on the level and see what happens. Trial and error and all that!!
Old 26 December 2012, 05:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine was as you say, and it too, turned out to be the seal on the rear screen.

Get a windscreen place to check it, they will check for a few ££. Once you get the outer trim pieces off, you can see where it is not sealed.

Or remove the rear parcel shelf, which allows you to see the water coming through.
Old 27 December 2012, 08:49 AM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

It'll be the boot seal rubber. Water seeps under the rubber, remove the rubber and reseal with silicone or an oil based window sealant which is non setting and you should be fine. I've never seen a leaky window. "But don't discount this" 99% of the time it's the rubber.
Old 27 December 2012, 02:54 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't think the boot seal would be the reason the back seat is damp. Unless its filled the wheel well up and it's overflowed to the seats

Trending Topics

Old 27 December 2012, 05:08 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Strip out the back of the car, trim, seats etc and get a friend to hold a hose pipe with a water gun fitted and have it on fine spray to replicate rain. get him to spray water all round the back of the car while your inside to see where its coming from. more the likely its your rear window.
Old 27 December 2012, 05:37 PM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

Yeah, the rain pools at the corners by the rear screen. When parked facing downhill. It seeps under the rubber. Drips down onto boot floor at the edges and runs onto the seat bench. Trust me, I tore my hair out trying to find this leak on newage cars!! Every customer that had same issue since, I just sealed the rubber and this cured it. I went down all avenues, lights, screen and even body seams. In the end it turned out to be the rubber !! When parked uphill it won't leak. Lol.

Last edited by PADDYHOEY; 27 December 2012 at 05:38 PM.