Notices

Sounds like exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2012, 04:18 PM
billy21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like exhaust leak

Has anyone had a milltek exhaust sound like its blowing from the downpipe? Checked what I can and exhaust seems to be tight with no leaks just sounds like a leak from the decat downpipe and haven't a clue why?
Old 16 December 2012, 04:36 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Yes mine is the same now, just bought all new gaskets for when I take it off as they are renowned for cracking on the welds, I also get smell of fumes now and again in the cab
Old 16 December 2012, 05:51 PM
billy21
Scooby Regular

Mine has been re welded and was all new gaskets. Haven't a clue where this sound is coming from
Old 16 December 2012, 06:56 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Where they genuine gaskets used? Hear a lot of stories of the aftermarket ones being poor and not doing their job, aint had mine off yet will be doing over next few days hence why I bought gaskets but I'm expecting to find a cracked weld if I'm honest :

I have know manifolds to crack on the welds also not so common I beleive but it can happen, my mate has just had to weld around the outer ring of the manifolds as they were blowing from there, maybe another avenue to check? And just get under the car and check all the welds along the exhaust joins, normally an easy give away with the black marks showing
Old 16 December 2012, 06:56 PM
Lee_
Scooby Regular

I had the same thing and it turned out to actually be my manifold not the exhaust although to my untrained ear it was definitely an exhaust blowing sound.
Old 16 December 2012, 07:17 PM
tattoosi
Scooby Regular

ive got the same here......im thinking mine is the up pipe tho after speaking to previous owner...he said it had been welded to get it through the mot....

so next question......how hards an up pipe to change its running a full super sprint decat...i ve got a workshop with ramps tho

Last edited by tattoosi; 16 December 2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 16 December 2012, 07:39 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

With a ramp pretty straight forward
I've just bought every gasket all genuine stainless steel Subaru items so I can check every avenue whilst its off, I intend to take it all off the car, manifolds, up pipe, down pipe so I can visually check them over and look for leaks, I just think its pointless at guessing, unless you can physically see the leak or can feel the blow on the hand then its all guess work IMO, so better to do it once and do it right as I'm pretty sure the down pipe is leaking I can see the mark on the ceramic coating of the turbo just about when up in the air on the ramps, but I'm sure from stone cold when I start it I get a weird really light blow from the manifold / up pipe area so just gonna take it all apart give it a good clean and check my system as I have a full Miltek on there and after some research the number of posts I've seen and people I've spoken to regarding the cracking is unreal tbh, considering they are quite A highly rated brand
Old 16 December 2012, 07:49 PM
billy21
Scooby Regular

I was shocked how common the cracking was. I have seen some black on the right cylinder so just going to get them all changed anyhow. When I am under the car it sounds like its the downpipe near the bolt to block the lambda but can't feel or see a thing