Notices

The next step......

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2012, 06:26 PM
dannycelluk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The next step......

I've had my car for nearly 2 years now, and started modifying in march!

Current spec...

T reg classic turbo 2000 110k miles
Both cats removed, stainless steel 2.5 exhaust, not sure on make
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Green panel filter
Mapped to 266bhp/277lbs by JGM.
Grooved standard size brake discs and Kevlar pads front and back.
Lowered slightly on KGB shocks and eibach springs.
17" new age wheels
Car is running well and id like to keep it that way, but I'd like abit more power.

my questions are:

1. How much power can I go to safely, without having to change engine internals/gearbox/clutch? I'd like to go for between 300-350 if possible.
2. What turbo should I go for? IHI/td05 so many options:-)
3. What injector options do I have?

Thanks for looking.
Old 08 December 2012, 09:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

300 is good in a classic, lots of fun without stressing the car.

Mine made 300 on stock internals, with a full decat, induction kit and 3-port solenoid, plus a LINK ecu remapped by Bob Rawle.

Then I killed it in hot waether in France..........
Old 08 December 2012, 09:47 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

To achive 300bhp in your car you'll possibly only need a TD05/VF28 turbo, 3 port boost solenoid and maybe injectors. Both turbo's will hit over 300bhp/lbft.

I'm running the standard turbo with a 3" decat, Walbro, panel filter and ECUtek remap on 284/317 (99 UK turbo as like yours).

Old 08 December 2012, 09:48 PM
Wild Thing
Scooby Regular

Turbo upgrade (vf28,30,35) and newage sti intercooler and your there.
Old 08 December 2012, 10:03 PM
dannycelluk
Scooby Regular

Forgot, I already got the 3 port:-) what injectors do I need? I see side mount and top mount a lot? What type do I need? Is it the pink sti ones? Thanks
Old 08 December 2012, 10:18 PM
Wild Thing
Scooby Regular

Injectors should see you to at least 330bhp as standard no need to replace them
Old 08 December 2012, 10:25 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Rather than getting more power, tighten the handling further. Replace bushing with powerflex or similar and get a fast road geometry setup. It is great having the power but if you cannot use it fully then no point having it. My bug has 95% powerflex bushing, whiteline components and Tein coilovers running 440 bhp, I give before the car does. At 106K miles it is great to drive, I need to do a track driving course where they take you out in your own car to really learn it's and my limits.

Last edited by 360ste; 08 December 2012 at 10:27 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 08 December 2012, 10:29 PM
dannycelluk
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, I thought the standard injectors would only hit about 300, or is that the older classics? If I'm remapping it, would it be worth upgrading the injectors anyway? Or not much point?
Old 08 December 2012, 10:36 PM
dannycelluk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
Rather than getting more power, tighten the handling further. Replace bushing with powerflex or similar and get a fast road geometry setup. It is great having the power but if you cannot use it fully then no point having it. My bug has 95% powerflex bushing, whiteline components and Tein coilovers running 440 bhp, I give before the car does. At 106K miles it is great to drive, I need to do a track driving course where they take you out in your own car to really learn it's and my limits.
I had a track setup before and it handled really nicely but the inside of the tyres wore out very quickly! I drive the car every day. think it is fast road setup now! Handles ok for me, most of my faster driving is done in a straight line.
Old 08 December 2012, 10:39 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If you are getting it remapped then speak to the mapper first. As I have upgraded my bugeye I always discussed in length about my plans and took his advise. I have yet to be disappointed in the results. Each mapper has his favourites be it turbo, fuel system setup, etc. If you work with them they should give you what you want. For example when my turbo showed signs of demise on a yearly RR checkup the mapper said get one of these turbo's as they work well but he also, In all honesty to him, said some turbo's and setuip's he could not get the figures predicted. Product or mapper not sure where the issue could be. BUT I followed his advice fitted the bits and got what I wanted from my car thanks to the mapper. Until I need to replace my GEMS ECU I will stick with the Steve who has mapped my car from it's first tuning.
Old 08 December 2012, 10:42 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by dannycelluk
I had a track setup before and it handled really nicely but the inside of the tyres wore out very quickly! I drive the car every day. think it is fast road setup now! Handles ok for me, most of my faster driving is done in a straight line.
I think track setup's have a more agressive degree of camber so the tyre footprint is flatter in corners. where a fast road setup is less agressive on the camber. I had my Geometry setup done and thought great then I noticed play in some of the bushes so over a couple of months bought all the bushes I needed and fitted them over a weekend. I did have full workshop facilities so did it myself. Once finished I got the geometry reset and WOW what a difference as there was no play in any of the bushes.

Last edited by 360ste; 08 December 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08 December 2012, 10:45 PM
dannycelluk
Scooby Regular

If you are getting it remapped then speak to the mapper first. As I have upgraded my bugeye I always discussed in length about my plans and took his advise. I have yet to be disappointed in the results. Each mapper has his favourites be it turbo, fuel system setup, etc. If you work with them they should give you what you want. For example when my turbo showed signs of demise on a yearly RR checkup the mapper said get one of these turbo's as they work well but he also, In all honesty to him, said some turbo's and setuip's he could not get the figures predicted. Product or mapper not sure where the issue could be. BUT I followed his advice fitted the bits and got what I wanted from my car thanks to the mapper. Until I need to replace my GEMS ECU I will stick with the Steve who has mapped my car from it's first tuning.
Ok thanks ill give him a bell, I'm on abit of a budget so I'm gunna have to get turbo one month, injectors next, and then fit and remap the next, I just wanted an idea of what I'm looking for so I can start looking on the forums for second hand items and see what sort of price I'd be looking at.