Notices

fmic what do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2012, 04:42 PM
ozzy69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fmic what do i need?

Hello need some info,My rb5 came with a full front intercooler and as far as i can find out it want be to good with just the standard td04l turbo,etc So what do i all need to make the engine safe with the fmic? From what i have found i need an uprated fuel pump,bigger turbo(was thinking td05 16g) bigger injectors,induction,then a remap. Now my car already has a full 3" s/s decat from turbo back exhaust,yellow injectors think they are 440cc,k and n induction and full fmic i also have a new uprated fuel pump on order,So is their anything else i should do or have i got it all wrong?
Old 08 December 2012, 10:34 PM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the car checked or even base mapped by a reputable mapper.

Find out from who ever owned it before who mapped it last.

Apart from that you will never know for sure if it was done right.
Old 08 December 2012, 10:54 PM
ozzy69
Scooby Regular

Car will 100% have to be remaped anyway as its a second hand rb5 ecu.My problem is i dont want to get it remaped if the turbo is to small for the front mount or if i should do anything else before a remap,I dont have a clue when it comes to getting anything remaped.I bought my car with a hole in the piston and the lad i bought it from had it stored in a local garage where some coont had robbed the ecu from her.

Last edited by ozzy69; 08 December 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11 December 2012, 11:23 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On a standard TD04 you might as well just go back to a TMIC.
However, if you keep the front mount, a TD05 16g is a cheap and easy way to get to 340/350bhp with the right supporting mods.

Fuel pump can be changed without necessitating a remap. Induction not ideal but can get away with it for a period. However, I wouldn't drive a car with uprated injectors or a FMIC for any conceivable length of time before I got it mapped - just isn't worth it....
Get it to a local mapper or RR facility and get it checked so at least you'll know it's not detting etc.
Old 11 December 2012, 12:32 PM
ozzy69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
On a standard TD04 you might as well just go back to a TMIC.
However, if you keep the front mount, a TD05 16g is a cheap and easy way to get to 340/350bhp with the right supporting mods.

Fuel pump can be changed without necessitating a remap. Induction not ideal but can get away with it for a period. However, I wouldn't drive a car with uprated injectors or a FMIC for any conceivable length of time before I got it mapped - just isn't worth it....
Get it to a local mapper or RR facility and get it checked so at least you'll know it's not detting etc.
Thanks the yellow injectors are standard on the rb5 think they are 440cc,i am on the hunt just now for a turbo as my td04 has play in the shaft anyway so as soon as i get a turbo i am booking her in for a remap @wallace performance thanks again for your help.
Old 11 December 2012, 03:58 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by ozzy69
Thanks the yellow injectors are standard on the rb5 think they are 440cc,i am on the hunt just now for a turbo as my td04 has play in the shaft anyway so as soon as i get a turbo i am booking her in for a remap @wallace performance thanks again for your help.
No probs mate - Andy and Scott @ Scoobyspares and Matty @ Pole Position are both good places to start if you're on the lookout for turbos - I'd be willing to bet they have a few 16g's floating about, and service is usually next day.
Old 11 December 2012, 05:22 PM
ozzy69
Scooby Regular

No probs mate - Andy and Scott @ Scoobyspares and Matty @ Pole Position are both good places to start if you're on the lookout for turbos - I'd be willing to bet they have a few 16g's floating about, and service is usually next day.
Thanks mate,you dont no anything about this td05 ebay £200 turbos do you? are they from the same maker as the standard td04/05s or are they cheep sheat made?
Old 12 December 2012, 07:20 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by ozzy69
Thanks mate,you dont no anything about this td05 ebay £200 turbos do you? are they from the same maker as the standard td04/05s or are they cheep sheat made?
Avoid em mate they're cheap Chinese copies that rarely make the power they claim to and are made of cardboard lol. A second hand 16g really shouldn't cost you much.
Old 12 December 2012, 09:47 AM
ozzy69
Scooby Regular

Avoid em mate they're cheap Chinese copies that rarely make the power they claim to and are made of cardboard lol. A second hand 16g really shouldn't cost you much.
Spot on thanks again mate thought it was to good to be true haha i wasent to sure if they might have been oe parts or some blue peter made ones haha thanks again for the help.
Old 12 December 2012, 10:02 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

No problem. Is yours a front entry turbo or a top entry?
Front-entry will look like this:

Top entry like this:

If it's front-entry you can also look at IHI series turbos like the VF34 and VF35.
VF35's are standard fitment on the newage STI models and commonly make between 320-350bhp depending on mods, and spool and performance in general is comparable to a 16g, although I've tended to see 16g's making more torque when I've been at the rolling road.
Old 12 December 2012, 10:12 AM
ozzy69
Scooby Regular

My one is front entry like the top turbo,am just looking at turbos just now haha the vf35,s seem to be abit harder to find and a bit more££££ but will see what comes along as not in to much of a hurry,its more torque i am after dont really care about top end.
Old 12 December 2012, 11:16 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

If you know someone who's a bit handy you'll be able to have a top entry converted to front-entry - the top entry ones tend to go quite cheap.
I'm sure a decent front-entry 16g will come along; you can certainly try the usual breakers; for a good front-entry you'll probably be looking at somewhere between £200-300 depending on condition and how lucky you get
For the best of both worlds, an 18g will give you quick spool and great mid-range (but at a greater price).
Old 12 December 2012, 11:26 AM
ozzy69
Scooby Regular

Ohh ok so 18g would be better.Are the top entry and front entry the same turbo apart from the bend? cuz i see alot of them for sale and would easly chop of the l shape part and get it machined down abit for the intake pipe.
Old 12 December 2012, 11:52 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Yeah I'm fairly certain the conversion process isn't much more complex than that although obviously you'd need to be careful not to get any chunks of metal falling down into the turbine!

For a more thorough explanation suggest asking starting a separate thread on what's involved in doing it as I'm afraid I don't have any experience in this as I've always had a f/e car / turbo.

18g's are great turbos. With yours, the limiting factor will be the 5 speed gear box.

For now, I'd say stick with the 16g - you'll likely be very happy with the gains you'll see with a decent remap and 16g, and you shouldn't need to uprate anything else - when you start seeing around 340/350+ ft/lbs you need to be a bit more careful with the 5 speeds - they won't for example enjoy being launched repeatedly or spanked a lot and you can end up stripping cogs - this is more likely with an 18g, so with the 16g you get the best of both worlds - better performance, mid range and top end than a TD04, with less risk of putting your car's mechanicals at risk of damage.