Notices

cat's and mot's ???????????

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2012, 12:51 PM
seinet
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink cat's and mot's ???????????

Hello i have just had an mot and it passed with out any catalytic converters. only thing i had done be for the test was an oil change so it must of been the the cooler air. the cat section of pipe was cut open and the insides removed and welded back together the cat failed and destroyed my engine. it looks like i have both cats on but its a straight through. I had a mix of fuel in the tank i had shell v power97 and gulf endurance 97 that may of helped
so a 2.0l ej20 will pass in the right conditions if its the right temp and dew point with no cats.
if your mot is in the summer it will fail at a guess
my failed cat cost me 2000
some cat care stuff so u dont get buggerd
1. When fitting the catalytic converter do not use exhaust paste in the joint in front of the cat. When the exhaust paste hardens it can break off and damage the monolith. Paste dust can also block the monolith.

2. Always use the correct fuel for your car.

3. Never use a fuel additive without first reading the instructions to find out if it is suitable for a vehicle fitted with a catalytic converter. If unsure consult the manufacturer of the additive.

4. Never attempt to bump or tow start your car. This causes unburned fuel to be injected into the catalytic converter causing the monolith to overheat and melt.

5. Never tow anything that is too heavy for your vehicle to cope with. For example, an overloaded caravan will actually push a car along when it travels downhill. This sends unburned fuel into the exhaust system and can cause the monolith to melt down.

6. Have your car regularly serviced to the manufacturer specifications. In particular make sure the engine is running properly. A poorly tuned or misfiring engine will damage or block the monolith.

7. Take care when driving through deep puddles, fords or parking anywhere there is deep snow. The catalytic converter operates at an extremely high temperature and when it comes into contact with water or snow it cools down rapidly. The steel shell cools more rapidly than the monolith and in extreme circumstances the monolith can be crushed as the steel shell contracts.

8. Drive slowly over speed bumps or any uneven road surface to reduce the chance of the exhaust system being grounded and the catalytic converter being damaged.

it was a speed bump that destroyed my cat and 130000
Old 01 December 2012, 01:45 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Your using the wrong fuel as it should be run on 99, also it's in the vosa mot rules now that if A car was fitted with a cat it need to have one for the mot, even if it passes the emissions, Your idea of cutting it open and removing the inside would trick a few maybe that was not bothered but it's a lot of hassle.
Old 01 December 2012, 01:50 PM
seinet
Scooby Newbie

Cool

[QUOTE=blackvenom;10889984]Your using the wrong fuel as it should be run on 99
where do you buy 99 fuel ?
Old 01 December 2012, 01:57 PM
seinet
Scooby Newbie

i wont be buying tesco monumentun99 they always seen to have quality issues with water
Old 01 December 2012, 02:08 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

I use tesco99 and v-power99, never had an issue
Old 01 December 2012, 02:10 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

V power

No cats here, and never had a problem

Last edited by steve ex vauxhall; 01 December 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01 December 2012, 06:38 PM
djr
Scooby Regular

Ive used tesco momentum for 18months with no issues