Notices

Cupple of issues from cold start up :(

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2012, 02:25 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Cupple of issues from cold start up :(

Hi people ... I have 2 issues which I think are prob related in some way but am unsure what maybe causing it..

Issue 1:
When I start the car up in morning / cold start I have the first issue ... Car is in neutral I put my foot on the gas and it sort of cuts out then carries on up the rev range, this only happens at the very bottom of the rev range as soon as u hit a higher rev it dose not do it. But as soon as it drops to normal and u put foot on gas again it will do again.

Issue 2:
Ok the second issue is once the car is semi warm and the idle has dropped to normal after choke has finished say I am driving along and I have to stop the idle drops to almost where it's about to cut the engine out but at the last Min it jumps back up to normal.

Issue 1 goes after the first 5 min ( warm up ) issue 2 can last 10 /15 mins Basicly until the car is at full temp then there are no issues at all

Any ideas from u Guys & girls would be great as would like to sort this issue out as quick as pos

Thanks
Old 28 November 2012, 02:42 PM
gingeral
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same sort of problems, mine was down to the turbo intake pipe was split. It was a nightmare to change though
Old 28 November 2012, 03:13 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gingeral
I had the same sort of problems, mine was down to the turbo intake pipe was split. It was a nightmare to change though

I've only just changed mine over to a lateral 1 So cannot see it been that

BUMP.
Old 28 November 2012, 03:28 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Maybe water temp sensor?
Old 28 November 2012, 03:41 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water temp sensor or lambda sensor would be my first port of call, I recently changed both of these due to the same problem plus a couple of others idle issues.
Old 28 November 2012, 04:48 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L.J.F
Water temp sensor or lambda sensor would be my first port of call, I recently changed both of these due to the same problem plus a couple of others idle issues.

Did it resolve the issues ??

Did u change the coolant temp sensor how hard is it to do, I can see it behind the alternator in the water cross over pipe just wondering the bet way to change it over without coolant going everywhere lol
Old 28 November 2012, 10:43 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Bumppppp
Old 29 November 2012, 10:54 AM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Any more suggestions ??

Old 29 November 2012, 11:16 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I'd whip that sensor out first and give it a try, if car runs normal when fully up to temp then chances are it is something like the coolant temp sensor, they ain't a lot of money, try www.importcarparts.co.uk
Old 29 November 2012, 11:20 AM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
I'd whip that sensor out first and give it a try, if car runs normal when fully up to temp then chances are it is something like the coolant temp sensor, they ain't a lot of money, try www.importcarparts.co.uk
Tbh my main thought was the coolant temp sensor and every1 seems to agree this maybe the issue.

Have u changed 1 over b4 ? It's just I can see it in the cross over pipe just wondering how u do it without coolant going everywhere !?

Cheers
Old 29 November 2012, 11:53 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Take the bottom rad hose off and place a bucket under there to catch the coolant and and take the rad cap off to allow it to drain, if you use a clean bucket you can re use the coolant if it has been recently changed, although its not a bad idea this time of year to put fresh in.

That said if your quick with your hands and have the other sensor to hand then you should not loose that much coolant, never personally changed one myself but lookin at mine (newage Sti) it looks pretty easy enough and would imagine it can be done without draining the system, not sure if the sensor varies in position on a classic (not sure what year yours is) although if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me
Old 29 November 2012, 12:03 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Take the bottom rad hose off and place a bucket under there to catch the coolant and and take the rad cap off to allow it to drain, if you use a clean bucket you can re use the coolant if it has been recently changed, although its not a bad idea this time of year to put fresh in.

That said if your quick with your hands and have the other sensor to hand then you should not loose that much coolant, never personally changed one myself but lookin at mine (newage Sti) it looks pretty easy enough and would imagine it can be done without draining the system, not sure if the sensor varies in position on a classic (not sure what year yours is) although if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me
Surely u don't have to remove the bottom rad hose and drain the whole system
I have fresh coolant in there .... I'm thinking just to clamp the bottom hose on the coolant tank and try swap it over very quickly but even this way I can see the cooland going everywhere ..

I have a v5 type r ... The coolant temp sensor is on the water cross over pipe just behind alternator.
Old 29 November 2012, 12:25 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Getting confused now ....

Should I be changing the coolant temp sensor

Or

Water temp sensor

Or

both

The reason I'm confused is I thought they were 1 and the same but doing some reading it seems there are two.
Old 29 November 2012, 12:30 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I referred to the bottom hose if your worried about making a mess when removing the sensor, you will obviously get some water coming out but depends on how quick you are swapping over, stick your finger in their to block the hole whilst swapping them to stop any unwanted fluid coming out, I'm sure it won't be that bad, I've changed many over the year on different cars but never a scoob and I have always just been quick with my hands and plugged the hole with my finger, I've never drained the system to change it, was just a suggestion if you wanted to keep it clean
Old 29 November 2012, 12:35 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

They are the same I believe the 1 is the coolant / water temp and the other is for the gauge on the clocks temp sender I beleive