Poly bushing the car suspension

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2012, 01:39 PM
adz556
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly bushing the car suspension

Afternoon guys,

I have a blobeye wrx. Suspension wise I have standard shocks, eibach springs, whiteline drop links front and super pro rears, I have a whiteline 24mm rear arb with poly bushes and a standard front arb with poly bushes. I'm thinking of bushing nearly everything but need to know which ones I need, what I need to get them off and to change them. I have the standard garage tools, set of axel stands and a trolley jack......help please? Lol
Old 21 November 2012, 02:11 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Decent sockets and bars to get the stuff off the car in the first place.

Press (or large vice with a wide range of sockets), hacksaw, blowtorch, lots of patience, some plasters to get the bushes out of the arms etc.

Getting the new bushes in depends on wether they are uprated steel outer bushes or just polys which slide into the hole left by the old bush. The latter being MUCH easyer.

As for sourcing the bushes, drop an email to alyn at asperformance and he'll sort you out with the correct stuff.
Old 22 November 2012, 02:07 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

I'm doing the same to my MY95 Impreza. I've got everything off the car but am struggling with removing most of the bushes. So far I've been trying to get them out without ruining them (I'm going to replace with pu bushes but there are a couple of Imprezas in the family so decent spares may be handy in future). In practice is it necessary to cut them out? I've got the control arm bushes out but the others with steel outers and the rear subframe bushes do not want to budge. I am fortunate to have access to a 10 bar press. I've been using sockets etc so far but don't have any large enough for the bushes larger than the front wishbones (and those wouldn't budge anyway), so I am now having some steel plates made up with holes just the right size, and corresponding discs just the right size to drive the remaining bushes out.

Given the tight fit of these bushes, is the thickness of powdercoating in the bores going to hinder the fit of the polybushes, should the bores be masked off to prevent this?