Notices

2004 Impreza WRX Loads of smoke after a long drive please help

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2012, 12:21 PM
Dredlocks9
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2004 Impreza WRX Loads of smoke after a long drive please help

Good morning, I hope one of the knowledgeable owners on the forum can offer some assistance. As mentioned in title I have a UK spec 04 WRX.
I had some power steering issues and I had to change the ps pump and associated high pressure and low pressure return lines as there was a small puncture in one of the lines and a fine mist of ATF was being sprayed in the engine bay whenever I turned, resulting in smoke. Smoke disappeared for a while after initial parts change.
I noticed a few months later I would have to top up the power steering reservoir and there was a visible leak under the car when parked for an extended period (over night). The source of the leak was identified as a worn seal in my steering rack. This has since been replaced and I no longer have any visible leaks. I had a busted cv boot which also put some grease on my downpipe. This has been fixed and grease cleaned off downpipe.
To my dismay any time I drive the car aggressively and park I am greeted with loads of smoke with an ATF smell coming through my scoop and right fender lining. On a visual inspection the smoke appears to be coming from the area where the power steering hoses are bolted on the chassis.
I took the car to a rally car mechanic and he suggested that the leak from my steering rack may have sprayed some ATF on downpipe etc and I would have to wait for it to burn off naturally.
Has anyone ever experienced anything similar. I am currently running a partial stage 1 map, lightened flywheel, no other major mods.

Please help.
Old 26 October 2012, 01:41 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dredlocks9
Good morning, I hope one of the knowledgeable owners on the forum can offer some assistance. As mentioned in title I have a UK spec 04 WRX.
I had some power steering issues and I had to change the ps pump and associated high pressure and low pressure return lines as there was a small puncture in one of the lines and a fine mist of ATF was being sprayed in the engine bay whenever I turned, resulting in smoke. Smoke disappeared for a while after initial parts change.
I noticed a few months later I would have to top up the power steering reservoir and there was a visible leak under the car when parked for an extended period (over night). The source of the leak was identified as a worn seal in my steering rack. This has since been replaced and I no longer have any visible leaks. I had a busted cv boot which also put some grease on my downpipe. This has been fixed and grease cleaned off downpipe.
To my dismay any time I drive the car aggressively and park I am greeted with loads of smoke with an ATF smell coming through my scoop and right fender lining. On a visual inspection the smoke appears to be coming from the area where the power steering hoses are bolted on the chassis.
I took the car to a rally car mechanic and he suggested that the leak from my steering rack may have sprayed some ATF on downpipe etc and I would have to wait for it to burn off naturally.
Has anyone ever experienced anything similar. I am currently running a partial stage 1 map, lightened flywheel, no other major mods.

Please help.
If that was booked in with us for a check out, we would jet wash the engine bay first, then with it all clean and dry we'd run it and find out if it leaks or not. Simple as that really!