Notices

Engine help please

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2012, 08:24 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine help please

I brought my 99 uk spec impreza with a drivers side tapping noise , hoping it was valve clearance. To cut a long story short i took it to scoobyclinc to inspect after a hour they said need to book it back in to have rocker covers off to look deeper in. It was in need of cambelt doing so booked it back in today to have that done too. They have had both rocker covers off ,cams out cleaned and checked everything, all was fine there. Cambelt been changed along with a worn cam seal, cam belt tensioner and idler pulley.
The noise is still there and they recken poss little end noisey or number 3 cylinder, has they said you could hear it rocking.
Is my engine a time bomb waiting to explode, now £400 out of pocket, could of got a second hand engine for that. Not sure what to do now i dont have the money for a £2000 plus rebuild, thinking of just driving it and saving for a secondhand engine. I have changed the clutch in the other halfs fiat multipla and do all my own servicing, but never swopped a engine, how easy is it on the subaru.
Also do i need to find a uk v5-6 engine or can other models fit and if so which is the best to go for. I love this car so wont to keep it.
Old 28 August 2012, 08:47 PM
wiggy1
Scooby Regular

Subaru engines are very straight forward if you get hold of an engine and need help fitting drop me a pm and il talk you through it
Old 28 August 2012, 09:01 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wiggy1
Subaru engines are very straight forward if you get hold of an engine and need help fitting drop me a pm and il talk you through it
Cheers for that, but need to no what engine i need for a 99 uk impreza, will other years fit and if so best one to use. Thanks
Old 28 August 2012, 09:29 PM
wiggy1
Scooby Regular

Your best off getting a v5/6 uk engine will be the easiest one to change as the wiring will be correct, I'm not sure off the top of my head if an import Sri engine has the same wiring harness! But in my personnel opinion if your wanting to stay around standard power get a v5/6 engine, if you do that you should be able to change it in a weekend!
Old 28 August 2012, 09:44 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wiggy1
Your best off getting a v5/6 uk engine will be the easiest one to change as the wiring will be correct, I'm not sure off the top of my head if an import Sri engine has the same wiring harness! But in my personnel opinion if your wanting to stay around standard power get a v5/6 engine, if you do that you should be able to change it in a weekend!
Cheers again. If i had more choice it might help my search, i would like to up the power to around 320hp at some point. In no rush at moment just paid £400 to scoobyclinc and go on a family hol in 6 weeks, so just hope car holds out.
Old 29 August 2012, 10:53 AM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Any folk out there that could advice if any other model engines can be used for my uk 99 impreza please.
Old 01 September 2012, 03:19 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

I have seen secondhand engines for subaru impreza for sale saying fit 1993-2001 cars. Mine is a v5 uk model i need some advice please if other models will fit and if so what problems i will have fitting them.
There must be folk on here clued up on this, i am new to subaru so not got a clue, i dont wont to buy a engine and then find its a pig to fit. I also wont to up power to around 320hp at a latter date, so they might be a better option out there.

Trending Topics

Old 01 September 2012, 07:26 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Been on net can not find any info, can anybody help please.
Old 04 September 2012, 07:23 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Not getting much response on this subject , does anybody no any other good subaru forms where i might get some answers on this subject. Thanks
Old 04 September 2012, 07:27 PM
Kennyboyd31
Scooby Regular

I would guess that your engine is on the way out.
Had this myself.
A rebuild will set you back £1700-£2000 ish.
A new engine fitted £1000 ish.
The only issue with dropping a new engine is you take the risk with the unknown.
I went for a rebuild despite the cost as I knew it would give me reassurance.
Good luck
Old 04 September 2012, 07:27 PM
Kennyboyd31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bikesforme
Not getting much response on this subject , does anybody no any other good subaru forms where i might get some answers on this subject. Thanks
Where are you located bud?
Old 04 September 2012, 07:44 PM
motofox
Scooby Regular

give Glenn n becks a call at Carnetix mate or Ollie at RCM and have a chat with them.they will put you straight on what engines will fit etc or be able to explain more about the tapping.
Old 04 September 2012, 07:47 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kennyboyd31
Where are you located bud?
In newark nottinghamshire mate
Old 04 September 2012, 07:51 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by motofox
give Glenn n becks a call at Carnetix mate or Ollie at RCM and have a chat with them.they will put you straight on what engines will fit etc or be able to explain more about the tapping.
I might see what they will charge for a second opion, i do like the car and it would be great to have a £2200 rebuild but just need to save and that might take some time at the moment.
Old 06 September 2012, 07:44 PM
Jacko4130
Scooby Regular

2nd vote for Carnetix, They did a top job with my rebuild and car is back there now for more upgrades.
Old 06 September 2012, 07:55 PM
mikeyboi
Scooby Regular

Might sound stupid as hell mate but i had that very same thing for months and months on end looked into it loads of times etc etc but turned out on mine to be nothing to do with the engine at all and it was the bottom of the downpipe heat shield where the lower securing bolt had worked loose overtime and fallen out and was knocking sounded exactly like engine knock from the top of the engine in cylinder 3 which is what everyone thought at first worth a look lol