Virtual Gauge reader

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2012, 03:56 AM
GoldenMerc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virtual Gauge reader

Hi,

Was talking to a friend earlier who stated he was wanting to fit a virtual gauge reader (to tell him information about his car on a tablet pc) was wondering if anyone has done anything similar, what tablet, what software how much it cost overall?
Ross
Old 22 August 2012, 07:27 AM
D11AKS
Scooby Regular

There is a wireless one available on the app store for the iPhone

Just need the app and a obd dongle of eBay all done for around £100
Old 22 August 2012, 06:37 PM
GoldenMerc
Scooby Regular

Yeh well i have a 97' Subaru so, L3YMS can you post your set up and how you done it all? Im defiantly wanting to try do it via a tablet.
Ross
Old 23 August 2012, 12:30 AM
daijones
Scooby Regular

If you use an android tablet you can use a bluetooth dingle which is pretty cheap; the current iPads don't support bluetooth dongles as far as I know so you need a wifi one. That has advantages anyway, because the accuracy of the gauges will depend on how quickly the signal is refreshed, and bluetooth would be slower than wifi. With a wifi dongle you basically have the dongle acting as a base station, and then the iPad or phone joins that wifi network. Once it's set up it should join automatically when you're in the car with the power on. Bluetooth dongles are cheap, but you get what you pay for, as with the tablet! Do a search on ebay for ODB2 wifi and you'll find loads available, priced around £40. These are copies of the PLX Kiwi original, which is a fair bit more expensive. Not all are very good apparently, though mine seems to work okay (not sure which one of the many clones I went for).

There are a few apps out there, but they vary in how well they're supported. The one I use, DashCommand, seems to be the only one on iOS that's well supported. It's pretty good, is Universal for ipad and iphone, and has lots of downloadable skins plus a skin editor. The support forums seem to be checked regularly. Downsides are the price, £35, and that the skin editor isn't well explained and only works on windows. There are cheaper apps out there that aren't well supported, depends how happy you are with trying to get software to work I guess.

DashCommand's web site is here:
http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...mand/index.php
Worth having a look to get a feel for how things work, even if you go for a different package
Old 23 August 2012, 12:36 AM
GoldenMerc
Scooby Regular

I like the look of dashcommand but defiantly not wanting to buy a iPad more looking towards a Nexus 7 (Android).
Ross
Originally Posted by daijones
If you use an android tablet you can use a bluetooth dingle which is pretty cheap; the current iPads don't support bluetooth dongles as far as I know so you need a wifi one. That has advantages anyway, because the accuracy of the gauges will depend on how quickly the signal is refreshed, and bluetooth would be slower than wifi. With a wifi dongle you basically have the dongle acting as a base station, and then the iPad or phone joins that wifi network. Once it's set up it should join automatically when you're in the car with the power on. Bluetooth dongles are cheap, but you get what you pay for, as with the tablet! Do a search on ebay for ODB2 wifi and you'll find loads available, priced around £40. These are copies of the PLX Kiwi original, which is a fair bit more expensive. Not all are very good apparently, though mine seems to work okay (not sure which one of the many clones I went for).

There are a few apps out there, but they vary in how well they're supported. The one I use, DashCommand, seems to be the only one on iOS that's well supported. It's pretty good, is Universal for ipad and iphone, and has lots of downloadable skins plus a skin editor. The support forums seem to be checked regularly. Downsides are the price, £35, and that the skin editor isn't well explained and only works on windows. There are cheaper apps out there that aren't well supported, depends how happy you are with trying to get software to work I guess.

DashCommand's web site is here:
http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...mand/index.php
Worth having a look to get a feel for how things work, even if you go for a different package