My first subaru, first post and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2012, 10:15 AM
andy72
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first subaru, first post and a few questions

Hi guys,

ive just bought my first impreza, a 2005 2.0 GX sport (my wife wouldnt let me go for a WRX as she says im 40 yr old and should know better )

Anyway, a few little quirks have me puzzled and being my first scooby i dont know if they are normal.

the car is low milage, 55K with full service history.

The first issue doesnt sound normal.

It was fine when i picked it up yesterday, but over the day (and use) it developed this annoying thing where if you take the revs up to say 3K, they stick there and start to rise all the way to 5K. It eventually remembers itself and drops back to normal. if you prod the pedal in this time it just pushes the revs even further. Its intermittent but so frequnt that i drop the clutch well before a junction just to make sure im not going to reviing the knacks off it while sat waiting.

Its under warranty, but the garage is a vauxhall garage and admitted the dont really have a clue and will be guessing. No eml is showing.

Local scooby dealer said they need to see it but guessed at IAC sticking. The solonoid part (with the plunger) looks quite new but the main body looks original. I had a quick attempt at cleaning (just taking off the plunger bodypart) and it still did it this morning.

Any ideas?

The next is porbably the way they are. It sounds 'rough' when its going up the revs. Its noce and smoothbut it 'growls'. I didnt expect this on a non turbo. Its not very loud but it sounds totally different to any other car (previous was an 2006 A3).

door locking. is there any way to lock all 4 doors from the inside? i dont feel overly safe with all the doors unlocked as im driving, especially when my wife will have it with the kids in.

Cheers in advance!

Last edited by andy72; 21 August 2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 21 August 2012, 01:36 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Andy, may I request you raise your hand in the air, so the palm is facing you and the back of your hand faces your wife.... now swing. This should elivate some stress.

Welcome to the world of imprezas. I am only on my first and am no expert however can give you a couple of pointers.

Firstly, you will be told on numerous occasions that you should have gone for a WRX or an STI. Personally I have an STI however can see the joy of driving any spec, regardless of boost. However if you are not in it for the power, an 05 Sport should make for a reliable and fun car, especially in winter!

The rev problem sounds like a sensor issue to me. The garage that gave you the warranty surely have to solve this problem, regardless of labour finding the issue. I would be more stern... but I am a Yorkshireman.

The growling you hear is due to the Subaru flat four engine. Regardless of turbo or not, you will get that addictive sound.

Locking the drivers door from the inside should lock them all....

Enjoy!!
Old 21 August 2012, 01:44 PM
andy72
Scooby Newbie

Thanks

Im not really in for the power but it is a bit slower than i was expecting. Its a nice looking car though and even without the big bonnet scoop gets plenty of looks. Its in a champagne colour.

I'll be taking the car in, but its a bit of a drive so need to work out logistics etc. Wanted to give them a few things to attack before they stood scratching their heads. They did say they may have to book it in to a nearby subaru dealer to fix. Its Evans Halshaw so reputation is dubious at best!

Went i lock the drivers door from inside, nothing happens. Just locks that door. I was expecting all 4 to lock.
Old 21 August 2012, 01:50 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Doesn't sound right to me! Add it to the list!

No problem and happy motoring! Might not be fast, but should still make you smile in the twisties! If anything I find it hard to put my power down round corners!
Old 21 August 2012, 02:23 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Could also be the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) either its dirty or the connection is bad. If you take off the air pipe to the throttle body get a can off carb/brake cleaner and blast it down the throttle body. Best to do this with the engine running but you will need to manually control the throttle as the engine will try and stall when you blast the cleaner down it.

Re: Door locking - does it lock all 4 doors from the remote? It could be that the alarm may have been reprogrammed to only lock individual doors from within the car. If its the Sigma alarm system (which I guess it is) these can be programmed to turn on or off certain features.
Old 21 August 2012, 04:09 PM
andy72
Scooby Newbie

Thanks.

I'll take the car in and give them a few pointers. Im sure its around the IAC area/side of things as the throttle works fine, its just the idle speed that wont drop (but rises)

re door locking. remote works fine. I did have an incident yesterday. I couldnt get out. I pulled up in a car park, switched off, went to open my door and all the doors were locked. I found the rocker switch and opened it. The rest of the doors didnt unlock, just drivers. I had o use the remote to lock and then unlock the rest of the doors.

No idea what alarm it is, 05 plate and the key has just one button which locks/unlocks
Old 21 August 2012, 04:27 PM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you look on the right hand side of the dash, to the right of the steering wheel where the dash slopes down (under fog switches) you might find a cubby hole. If this pulls out to reveal a flat panel wit ha bunch of tiny buttons marked on it, that's a sigma alarm.

My car has a "door lock" button on the drivers door panel, in front of the window switches. Thats the door lock and unlock rocker. Idon't know if it was part of some spec level or other though.
Old 21 August 2012, 05:09 PM
andy72
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog
My car has a "door lock" button on the drivers door panel, in front of the window switches. Thats the door lock and unlock rocker. Idon't know if it was part of some spec level or other though.

oh cr*p, how stupid do i feel now. Just been and looked and i have one too. how embarrasing lol
Old 28 August 2012, 09:37 AM
andy72
Scooby Newbie

car now getting sorted. Turned out to be needing a new throttle body and throttle stepper switch. Local subaru dealer ended up fixing it on behalf of Evans Halshaw.

lent me a brand new legacy boxer diesel. Blooming nice car to be honest, absolutlely massive inside.