Notices

Ideas of suitable mods for my '12 wrx sti hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2012, 10:09 AM
Chill_sti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas of suitable mods for my '12 wrx sti hatch?

I bought myself a wrx sti hatch earlier this year, and although I'm still in awe of what I can get done, I would like to start making some subtle modifications.

Here's the kicker though, I live in the desert (Abu Dhabi) to be precise. This means a few things; temperatures upwards of 40 are common, (occasionally hitting 50 during the summer). In addition to this, the level of sand and dust in the air is obviously very high.

In my mind this makes me lean towards upgrading the intake system before doing anything else to increase the flow of air into the engine to counter the low air density. In addition to that, I need as much cooling as I can possibly get my hands on.

After my limited research, it seems a popular mod is to move the intercooler to the front of the engine. Is this likely to aid cooling significantly?

Suggestions please!
Old 15 August 2012, 12:18 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

In your climate I'd be inclined to fit a wing type induction kit as they are washable and provide gains, fitting a frontmount is to aid better cooling efficiency of the core by ramming air direct at it and isn't as susceptible to heat soak. I'd also advise fitting an oil cooler. You'd need it mapping for any mods on the induction side of things.
Old 15 August 2012, 10:22 PM
Chill_sti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea of the wing induction kit, am I being stupid though? I can't find many on the net. oil cooler would be a good shout. Any advice on brands for both of these?
Remapping shouldn't be a problem, found 2 tuners out here with decent experience in modding scoobies for hill climb and autocross.