Notices

What type of intercooler, 'bar & plate' or 'tube & fin'?

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2012, 09:16 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What type of intercooler, 'bar & plate' or 'tube & fin'?

I'm buying a FMIC soon and have been led to believe that the 'tube and fin' type is more efficient than the 'bar and plate' type. However, re-reading an article by respected tuner, Dave Rowe, he says the opposite (Total Impreza, Sept/Oct 2011). Does this mean that the Japspeed 'bar and plate' FMIC is superior to, say, the more expensive 'tube and fin' Hybrid? Any data to support either type before I part with the cash?

Last edited by Paben; 09 August 2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09 August 2012, 10:13 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Nobody have any info on this?
Old 09 August 2012, 10:23 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

It's generally accepted that tube and fin is more efficient. having said that I'm not sure whether that's in thermal or flow terms - or both!
Tube and fin would generally be lighter in construction as well but also usually more expensive.
Depending on your power aims it's open to debate whether it's worth the extra expence?

JohnD
Old 10 August 2012, 03:18 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Thanks JohnD, it seems to be something of a black art. I've now found a number of interesting websites where this subject is examined in detail but the conclusions seem to be inconclusive! Both types seem to have their pros and cons, with inconsistency in manufacture being a serious problem with cheap intercoolers. You could get a good one or a useless one. So, cheap and take a chance or fork out for something more expensive with a better chance of getting a good one? Still thinking.
Old 10 August 2012, 03:52 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
Thanks JohnD, it seems to be something of a black art. I've now found a number of interesting websites where this subject is examined in detail but the conclusions seem to be inconclusive! Both types seem to have their pros and cons, with inconsistency in manufacture being a serious problem with cheap intercoolers. You could get a good one or a useless one. So, cheap and take a chance or fork out for something more expensive with a better chance of getting a good one? Still thinking.
Have you a link to those sites or did you just do a search?

JohnD
Old 10 August 2012, 04:46 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

A search on 'bar & plate or tube & fin intercoolers?' returns some interesting sites. Most are aimed at specific vehicles but I guess the principles are the same regardless.
I thought that this was one of the most in depth and informative: http://www.extremeintercoolers.com/tech.html