Notices

Engine codes

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2012, 06:05 PM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine codes

Forgive me for coming across as bone idle, but I've not had my car long, and this is my first ever post on here - I've spent an hour or two trawling through this forum and the internet to find the answer to this, and I haven't found anything so far.

In a nutshell, I have a UK-spec W-reg ('00) Impreza turbo with Prodrive pack, bought about six weeks ago. I've had the bonnet up and noted these serial numbers from the VIN plate:-

Applied model GC8HK8D, engine type EJ205NW2KD

The V5 confirms date of first registration as 01 July 2000.

I've just bought an SSQV3 and HKS induction kit from Scoobyparts.com, and I was careful to ensure I picked the right choices in the drop down menus ("classic 09/99-07/00" and "classic 9/98-8/00" respectively).

The barcoded labels applied by HKS to the items I received both show that they apply to EJ207 engines, although the other details (GC8, from/to months of manufacture, etc) match. The Scoobyparts invoice confirms the dates I selected when ordering.

First part of the question - what is the difference between an EJ205 and EJ207? Secondly, as I have an EJ205, are these items going to fit ok or do I need to start looking at getting them exchanged?

Ta. L
Old 07 August 2012, 06:38 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

hi welcome to scoobynet,
on a classic impreza ej205 is fitted in a uk version ,
ej207 is fitted in v5/6 sti or type"R" , jdm import.
later newage ej207 have different engine casing design but thats not important to your question.
does the hks youve ordered have a bolt on flange or adaptor with it.?
Old 07 August 2012, 06:48 PM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classicgc8
hi welcome to scoobynet,
on a classic impreza ej205 is fitted in a uk version ,
ej207 is fitted in v5/6 sti or type"R" , jdm import.
later newage ej207 have different engine casing design but thats not important to your question.
does the hks youve ordered have a bolt on flange or adaptor with it.?
Pass - I've not actually opened the boxes for either item yet, I'd just been checking the small print to make sure everything was in order when I noticed the difference in the engine code. As a result I've left them utterly unopened in case I might need to return them.

I'm sure Scoobyparts have sent the correct items, but I didn't really want to get to the point of fitting the item before realising that I had the wrong kit. Hence the slightly newbie-style appeal on here.

As a side note I've been able to find out all about the applied model codes and what each character means, so I know mine is a classic shape UK-spec turbo, but I have yet to find anyone who knows what model year the H represents in the applied model code. A-G are widely known and published, can't find the H anywhere though. G is MY00, but 2001-on cars are new age... mine seems to be in a limbo in between. But I digress.

L
Old 07 August 2012, 07:04 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

not sure on that h either ??? my 00 uk is the same though
Old 07 August 2012, 07:13 PM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

No worries - I'm sure someone will come up with the answer at some point.

I'd just like to know if I can go ahead and get the SSQV3 and Powerflow put on, or whether I should be returning the items and going for ones whose labels specify EJ205. Worst case scenario is, of course, opening all the packaging and then finding out I've got to return them; a lot more difficult to return items when the packaging isn't pristine and intact, as I found out through other traders with my previous Japanese car.

L
Old 07 August 2012, 07:23 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

each to there own
,in my opinion i would leave the o/e recirc valve if fitted to be honest,buts thats my choice,

,if you use the search function theres lots of threads dedicated to dump valve/bov or not.
theres lots of opinion as to whether damage could result .
suggest you have a look and decide for yourself.
thanks Dave
Old 07 August 2012, 08:41 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

The "date of registration" on the V5 is pointless for dating Scoobies as the model year doesn't run the same as the calendar, as the new model comes in the year before and some cars are sold/registered late.

To check your Model Year (MY) what is the 10th character of the VIN??

MY99 (1999) - would be "X"
MY00 (2000) - would be "Y"

Both items you have purchased are listed for the WRX (EJ205), as well as the STi (EJ207) and are both for MY00. Induction Kit for MY99 as well.

Last edited by Don Clark; 08 August 2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: corrected MY letters

Trending Topics

Old 08 August 2012, 08:12 AM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
The "date of registration" on the V5 is pointless for dating Scoobies as the model year doesn't run the same as the calendar, as the new model comes in the year before and some cars are sold/registered late.

To check your Model Year (MY) what is the 10th character of the VIN??

MY99 (1999) - would be "W"
MY00 (2000) - would be "X"

Both items you have purchased are listed for the WRX (EJ205), as well as the STi (EJ207) and are both for MY00. Induction Kit for MY99 as well.
The 10th character of the VIN is "Y".

I knew it was a bit of a minefield as soon as I started reading up on how to identify an Impreza by its model year, VIN, applied model code, etc. I had read that the fourth character of the applied model code also signifies the model year, but I can't find anywhere (or anyone) who knows what MY is represented by "H".

All I want to really know is this: am I safe to unpack the items and get them installed onto the EJ205, do I need to return them because the labels specify EJ207, or is the only way of finding out to open them and double check the fittings and instructions supplied?
Old 08 August 2012, 08:29 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.iwoc.co.uk/ukcode.html

MY00 GC8HK8D EM 830 EJ205NW2KD 94H, 95H TY754VN1AA 4 door 2 litre turbo
sports bucket (black/grey trim)
Old 08 August 2012, 09:42 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by ace1981
The 10th character of the VIN is "Y".

OOPs, gave you dodgy info there.........

Just rechecked my old VINs

MY97 - V
MY98 - W
MY99 - X
MY00 - Y
MY01 - 1

The letter in the UK Body Model Code refers to minor changes and may not correspond to the actual model year.

My old Turbo 2000 details........

The JDM Applied code is much more year based

Last edited by Don Clark; 08 August 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08 August 2012, 12:41 PM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
http://www.iwoc.co.uk/ukcode.html

MY00 GC8HK8D EM 830 EJ205NW2KD 94H, 95H TY754VN1AA 4 door 2 litre turbo
sports bucket (black/grey trim)
Originally Posted by Don Clark
OOPs, gave you dodgy info there.........

Just rechecked my old VINs

MY97 - V
MY98 - W
MY99 - X
MY00 - Y
MY01 - 1

The letter in the UK Body Model Code refers to minor changes and may not correspond to the actual model year.
Thanks for the info, that certainly clears up exactly what I have.

The only question remaining is whether or not the EJ205 and EJ207 are "identical" as far as the SSQV3 and Powerflow are concerned. As the labels are in Japanese, I suppose it would make sense that they would specify EJ207 engines as EJ207 is the Japanese "flavour" EJ20. As I've said above, I'd prefer to learn whether they will be ok to go on before I've unpacked the items and opened the bonnet.

Edit: just found this online... "207 motor comes with forged internals and AVCS heads, and the combustion chamber has a different shape...that is, if you're talking about the long block. If you're talking about the stripped block itself, then the different water jacket is pretty much the major difference"

And this... "the EJ207 block is stronger than the EJ205. EJ207(v7) all internals are forged, better cams than EJ205, valves, springs, etc. EJ207(v8) has hypercast pistons, everything else is forged, the heads flow more(big port), the cams are more aggressive than v7. I think both redline around 8000-8200rpm but are not making power that high up"

To me, that says the differences are mainly block-related, and nothing for me to worry about if I'm looking to simply put an EJ207 SSQV3 and Powerlow onto an EJ205 engine.

Can anyone clarify / confirm that I shouldn't have any problems?

Last edited by ace1981; 08 August 2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 08 August 2012, 12:45 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ace1981
Thanks for the info, that certainly clears up exactly what I have.

The only question remaining is whether or not the EJ205 and EJ207 are "identical" as far as the SSQV3 and Powerflow are concerned. As the labels are in Japanese, I suppose it would make sense that they would specify EJ207 engines as EJ207 is the Japanese "flavour" EJ20. As I've said above, I'd prefer to learn whether they will be ok to go on before I've unpacked the items and opened the bonnet.
On the whole they are same but the EJ207 has different pistons but to answer your questions the parts should fit no problem but I would be careful fitting an induction kit to a MY99-00 car as the mafs are known to be pretty fragile
Old 08 August 2012, 05:42 PM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
On the whole they are same but the EJ207 has different pistons but to answer your questions the parts should fit no problem but I would be careful fitting an induction kit to a MY99-00 car as the mafs are known to be pretty fragile
That's good enough for me, I'll get cracking on them tonight and see what's what. Thanks to everyone for your input on this. My next post will be photos of the new induction kit and BOV, or it'll be one of misery as I admit that I've cocked something up and am unable to return the bits and pieces...
Old 11 August 2012, 03:29 PM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

Fresh from spending some time under the bonnet this morning, the SSQV3 is fitted, plumbed in and working well - no worries at all. Have given the car a little shakedown and everything is still in place, so the worries were unfounded.

Buoyed by the success of that, I've opened the box for the Powerflow induction kit only to find that the fitting instructions are all in Japanese, with no English translation. Now trawling the Internet to try to find it, as the diagrams are clear enough but the black and white close-ups of the airbox aren't so clear cut.

It looks straightforward enough but I'd rather have the fallback of a step-by-step guide as I'm no expert. If anyone knows any sites where I can find a translation of the installation kit, it'd be gratefully received.