Notices

Can a bung cause damage?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2012, 06:28 PM
Frizzle-Dee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a bung cause damage?

I have a bung fitted on my tailpipe in a bid to reduce the noise levels of my new exhaust (something I mentioned in an old post) and so far I have no problems with it.
Today however, a driver in a Civic Type R pulled up next to me and rolled his window down to offer me a word of warning- apparently, he had one fitted and damaged his exhaust with the built-up pressure caused by the bung itself

Reading around and googling this I have found a few people have mentioned problems such as this and even engine damage but only when putting the vehicle under stress -i.e. track days and such

I personally have no desire to take this vehicle to a track day, nor do I place the engine under any stress, it is just a daily driver but being the paranoid lass that I am I thought best to ask for some feedback

Anyone here ever found there to be a problem with using a bung?

When changing down gears it naturally vibrates with the pressure but I wouldn't think this would do any damage in the long run or else they surly wouldn't sell them would they

Sorry if this is a daft question guys but I just want to be sure I'm not causing my car any harm

Ta

~Frizzle-Dee x
Old 29 July 2012, 06:33 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

personally id bung it...the bung that is
Old 29 July 2012, 06:34 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

Don't know about the bung, but my Dad stupidly fitted a 100Cell sports cat to his fully decatted and remapped STi, resulted in a f*cked VF35.

I'd imagine it will cause the same back pressure problem as the bung.
Old 29 July 2012, 06:46 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

I run with the bung fitted in my Blitz Nur Spec R, with no problems at all..!

Although, I did get some 'High Temp' tape from Revolution Motorsport, which stopped the bung rattling

The only time I could see any problems, would be if it was de-catted & mapped as such & then you put the bung in.
In a standard car with cats in place, you shouldn't have an issue!

Last edited by IggyRB320; 29 July 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 29 July 2012, 07:30 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Why fit a loud free flowing exhaust & then strangle it with a bung? I'd imagine it would be fine for puttering about, but possibly a problem if driven hard. Personally I'd fit a quieter system, the size of the exit hole in the bung is way too small
Old 29 July 2012, 07:58 PM
Scoobytom2
Scooby Newbie

This time next week I pick up my Impreza and ive bought a bung for my afterburner Vortex exhaust. I start work at 5am so dont want to annoy the street. Il take it out once i get to work so not to cause any possible problems
Old 29 July 2012, 08:13 PM
ShotgunUK
Scooby Regular

I think it depends on how your car is mapped.

Theoretically any change in the air flow could cause damage to the engine if it's not setup for it. Last time Simon at JGM mapped my car he checked it with the bung in afterwards just to make sure.

For the peace of mind I would get it checked - it doesn't sound like you're the kind of lass who would enjoy having to rebuild an engine if it did go pop.

If your car has never been remapped it might be worth asking Simon to work his magic - the benefits in terms of fuel consumption alone might make it worthwhile

Last edited by ShotgunUK; 29 July 2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Too many typo's lol
Old 29 July 2012, 11:05 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car is not mapped for bung don't bung it,this can cause all sort the problems

Jura
Old 30 July 2012, 08:40 AM
Frizzle-Dee
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the responses on this guys-

My car is a GX n/a so I've always assumed it wouldn't need mapping

The output size of the bung isn't far off the standard pea-shooter that was on there in the first place so could it still be a problem?

The only reason I have fitted the bung is to give the new exhaust time to 'settle down'.
Initially it was far too loud and after speaking with the manufacturer they advised me that this was the best way to go and that the system would quieten over time due to carbon build-up.

I often make long motorway journeys in excess of 5 hours and wanted something to take some of the more ear-bleeding frequencies out of the cabin.

I'm hoping that after a 4-6 months I will be able to take the bung out to be honest but for now I am satisfied with the noise levels, its not so loud that it makes you feel like your brain is going to fall out of your nose and its a considerable improvement of the standard set-up with respects to the grumble factor. However, all this aside, if it could potentially harm the car it isn't worth it.

I know a few of you on here have/will simply advise that I-

a. replace it with the std. system

or

b. buy a quieter system

-but right now neither of these are really an option for me.

The standard system looked and sounded poo so I dont really want to put that on again and after the money I have forked out on this current set up I am not really in a financial position to simply buy an alternative.

I like this set up, I just want to be sure that the tunable bung is not likely to cause the car any harm in the long term.

Thank you

~Frizzle-Dee x
Old 30 July 2012, 11:19 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

On a non turbo, I would have thought you'd be fine with or without bung TBH, especially if it's otherwise standard.

If it was me, I'd leave the bung in and drive around like normal. As you're not hooning around on track etc etc, it will more than likely be fine.
Old 30 July 2012, 01:58 PM
Frizzle-Dee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
On a non turbo, I would have thought you'd be fine with or without bung TBH, especially if it's otherwise standard.

If it was me, I'd leave the bung in and drive around like normal. As you're not hooning around on track etc etc, it will more than likely be fine.
Thanks Henrik, that has put my mind at rest

Thank you to everyone else for their responses too. Much appreciated

Ta

~Frizzle-Dee x