Notices

recommened exhaust - 2005 STI

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2012, 10:16 AM
Jelly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommened exhaust - 2005 STI

I am looking for a little extra HP. Currently have a 2005 STI PPP. running 337 with Steel headers and green Panel Air filter and remap being the only engine mods.

I am looking for a replacement exhaust system that if possible isn't much louder than standard, ideally MOT friendly, I understand another remap will be required. Could anybody recommend any system for me?

Thanks
Old 29 July 2012, 10:20 AM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

Revolution system for keeping noise down. No a few lads with them and love them. Nice sound when u give it the beans. I have a full cobra system on mine. Can hear me 3 mile away but they do make ones that aren't as hard to the ears.
Old 29 July 2012, 10:26 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Miltek exhausts mate
Old 29 July 2012, 10:27 AM
Jelly
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Do you know what sort of power increase was gained through the Revolution system?
Old 29 July 2012, 10:28 AM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

I say Cobra, Since they do Track Friendly Systems. Good for the power, and road legal.
Old 29 July 2012, 10:29 AM
Jelly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001
Miltek exhausts mate
Is the Miltek a loud system?
Old 29 July 2012, 10:32 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Miltek are widely acknowledged as being excellent quality and aren't really loud unless on full chat.
I have a 3" full zero sports system which is quieter than my mate's Prodrive system, but I bought it second hand - they're not cheap brand new!

TBH though with a VF35 I doubt you'll see a whole lot more power and torque changing the exhaust - you need to think about turbo as well if you really want to get much more out of her. I'd save your money and go for something like an 18g, which if mated to your Prodrive system and existing injectors should probably see 350-360 if it's a good one (Harvey Smith ones often make exceptionally good figures) and will retain similar spool and acceleration characteristics with more in the mid range and top end.

If you're not fussed about getting to upper 300's I honestly wouldn't bother changing the PPP exhaust setup - they're decent quality and they pass MOT

For slightly better acceleration and a few more hp, just buy a Harvey up pipe.
On my old WRX with a VF35, changing from a standard STI up pipe to a Harvey one made 10 ft/lbs and 7bhp more.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 29 July 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 29 July 2012, 11:10 AM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have afterburner 2 1/2inch cat back system for sale mate only done 2k. Aswell as prodrive sport cat and de-cat. Pm if interested
Old 29 July 2012, 11:22 AM
Devious
Scooby Regular

+1 Milltek
Old 29 July 2012, 11:53 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Rbon91
I have afterburner 2 1/2inch cat back system for sale mate only done 2k. Aswell as prodrive sport cat and de-cat. Pm if interested
He will already have a Prodrive sports cat and decat if it's an STI with PPP mate
Old 29 July 2012, 12:35 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a full Miltek on mine including a resonated centre section to keep the noise down and I'm very happy indeed with it.
Old 29 July 2012, 01:47 PM
Jelly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Have a full Miltek on mine including a resonated centre section to keep the noise down and I'm very happy indeed with it.
Miltek seems to be a popular choice. were there any noticeable power gains?
Old 29 July 2012, 02:04 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

You need to have a new aged mapped for an exhaust change anyway but yes the Miltek as in many replacement systems are much more free flowing adding better turbo spool and exhaust flow. If I am right in thinking you will have a hi flow sports cat on with the ppp fitted so going cat back will really improve the cars drivability.

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 29 July 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 29 July 2012, 02:06 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
He will already have a Prodrive sports cat and decat if it's an STI with PPP mate
I know mate. Was just adding on in case anyone reading wants one
Old 30 July 2012, 08:17 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
You need to have a new aged mapped for an exhaust change anyway but yes the Miltek as in many replacement systems are much more free flowing adding better turbo spool and exhaust flow. If I am right in thinking you will have a hi flow sports cat on with the ppp fitted so going cat back will really improve the cars drivability.
As your car already has a Prodrive back box I'm afraid the post above is somewhat misleading.
Changing a full Prodrive exhaust and swapping out the 2 rear sections for a Miltek is unlikely to make much if any difference in terms of power or drivability if you're only running a VF35 and retaining the 2.5" pipe work at the front.

Ultimately it's your turbo that's the limiting factor here and I think it's unfair to suggest that you should change your exhaust rather than pointing out he obvious which is that you'll gain exceptionally little from exhaust or header changes on the current setup (maybe 15bhp - and we're talking changing up pipe, and cat back, maybe full decat - not all that cheap) - it's unlikely to be noticeable unless, as I already mentioned, you go for a Harvey up pipe to improve spool.

At 350 your vf35 will be at its limit, 18g turbo will make a noticeable difference mate, it'll work with your current setup, and you won't need to change the exhaust unless you want to.

I've been there and tried a lot of combos in the past, but for best advice speak to a mapper who will know what will yield the best power figures.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 30 July 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 30 July 2012, 08:57 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Yes your right there apologies I was not the clearest, I had not realised how the full ppp system would compare in relation if it was a standard system.... I suppose like all of us really it's where you want the car to go to, if it's a little more volume and nothing more than that then a back box may answer the question fully for the OP but if it's more tuning then yes as you say re power gains then under the bonnet plans can be looked at and I agree it's always best to talk with a tuner/mapper etc that you may wish to use listing what your looking at doing because they will be able to suggest more or less than you feel you need.
Old 31 July 2012, 09:56 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Jelly, I also have a 2005 STI.
TBH 337 is a good figure for the car on a VF35 and probably isn't far off its limit.
Sure some make more but if you really want more power, an exhaust really won't make a huge difference - you need a bigger turbo .

One thing I think I *may* have assumed it that you have a prodrive centre cat-back stainless exhaust system - if you don't - and it's just a standard exhaust and needs replacing then of course you need a replacement .
In which case would recommend Miltek as per other people on here.
The Milsport systems are also good, and Revolution are reported to be good too although I've never heard one.

P.S. Nice looking car

Last edited by MrNoisy; 31 July 2012 at 09:57 AM.