Notices

Gear Lever ball / plastic socket housing Question...

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2012, 12:22 PM
jtanner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Lever ball / plastic socket housing Question...

Hi everyone,

Random (and maybe daft question) ... but, what should hold the gear lever into the socket? I've never had a problem before, and then yesterday, I reversed out my drive, went to put it into 1st, and the gear lever went all the way forward, 'broke', and got stuck. I pulled the gaiter off, and saw that the base of the lever had come out of the socket. I removed the pivot bolt, lifted the plastic, popped the plastic onto the ball socket, then re-sat it, refitted the pivot bolt and it obv. is ok now, to an extent!

The problem I have now, is that too much force going into 1st, 3rd or 5th can potentially cause the gear lever to pop out again! What do I need to replace? I'm assuming perhaps there was a clip? or maybe the plastic "sacrificial" part (as it would wear and replace easier than the joint itself) has perhaps become broken / worn???

Edit: I should say, it never pops out gear, just the actual lever pops out the socket

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by jtanner; 17 July 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 18 July 2012, 07:03 AM
GroupNGC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From your desription difficult to be 100% without seeing the joint but it sounds like the C clip may have come off the bottom of the 'cup' which holds the pivot ball in place. with this clip missing the joint is loose and hence you pulling the gear lever out of the socket.

The clip effectively squeezes the cup around the pivot ball to stop the ball and cup separating - you need to get underneath the car to check if the C clip is still there.

if it is still there - the C clip needs to be removed and the pivot ball seated correctly back in the cup, then refit the Clip

if its not - you need to get hold of another C clip & fit it, there is a groove in the cup part for it to fit into, making sure the pivot ball is fully in the cup before fitting
Cheers
Rob