coolant pressure

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2012, 02:19 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant pressure

What cause the coolant system to pressuriaze other than hg

I have had a new hg and new water pump and still if you rev the car the top coolant hose pressurizes really high.

Had a sniff test done and it shows all is ok .

Have spent hours trying to get all the air out bringing up to temp letting fans kick in waiting for them to go off cooling car down adn topping water up if need be and then bringing up to temp again, and as soon as its revved hard the pipe goes solid hard.

ive had a new cap fitted also and im sure its working as the expansion bottle on the right has also been popping the top ond overflowing water.

Im not sure what else would cause this issue.

any ideas guys?

also anyone got any tips on the best way to fill up with coolant as i seem to always spend ages trying to get all the air out.

Thanks in advance guys
Old 13 July 2012, 02:38 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Are you burping the system with the header tank cap removed? Also put the heater fan on inside the car while doing this.
Old 13 July 2012, 02:52 PM
chloe123
Scooby Regular

i had the exact problem, overheating and bubbles coming from the over flow cold air etc changed waterpump, thermostat still the same everyone told me headgasket

the guy i got to do it lifted the car from the front, got a funnel on to the header tank made it air tight put coolant into it filled both to full once air is out revved the car till the water got sucked in then put the cap on nevever overheated or ovefilled or no bubbles since happy days
Old 13 July 2012, 03:59 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Ok cool will try this later

When you say burping the system what is the best way to do this i just sorta grab the bottom hose and squeeze a few times is there a better way of doing this please enlighten me ! Oh and yeah heaters on#!

Cheers guys
Old 13 July 2012, 04:13 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Take the cap off the header tank (Not the plastic tank) Start the car and put the heater on full. Let the car warm up to normal operating temps temps. Meanwhile squeeze the top hose to 'burp' any trapped air out of the header tank. Keep the header topped up with water. When the engine gets to temp the thermostat will open and the level should drop in the header. Keep it filled up and squeeze the top hose every now and again. To speed up the process hold the revs at about 2500 for a bit and then release this should force the coolant round the system a bit quicker. When the header tank wont take any more water and has stopped burping (Bubbles) then your pretty much good to go.
Old 13 July 2012, 05:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Drain it and refill correctly so it can't get airlocked.
The easiest way to do so is to drain it, remove metal filler cap, put heater onto "hot" inside car, remove the rear-most pipe off the header tank, jam a funnel down it and pour in the correct coolant mix, S L O W L Y.
DO NOT let it gurgle, or gulp, pour slowly and steadily. Keep doing so until water appears in the header tank. Doing it this way fills from the BOTTOM of the engine and expels air.

Once full, still with cap off, replace the rearmost pipe, but still with heaters on "hot, start engine, run until it gets hot and fans kick in, topping up or mopping up as necessary.
Turn engine off, replace cap, take it for a spin ropund the block, leave to cool and check level again, topping up as necessary.
I've always done mine like this, and never had a problem yet.

BTW: had you bothered, a simple search would have found posts like this