43kms after headgaskets now the crank has gone FFS

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2012, 09:05 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 43kms after headgaskets now the crank has gone FFS

basically as the title says

pretty pissed off at the fact iv just bought genuine headgaskets and now they are going to be scrap!

what are my options now

1996 impreza type r

i think iv caught it pretty early...do i get a different engine or rebuild this one and use standard parts or what prices and where can i get a stroker kit etc?

can i inspect the big ends by taking the sump off or is it basically crack the engine into 2 halves and look that way and replace whats needed?

cheers
Old 04 July 2012, 09:40 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, that's what generally happens after HG failure. I suppose you really need to strip and investigate the damage to the crank. Then weigh up the cost of a rebuild, based on your future plans. If your gonna carry on modding, then, Now is your chance to update the internals. Also what's your budget?
Old 04 July 2012, 09:45 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

To be honest with you i just want it running so i can move it and that so ideally i want another engine to drop in then maybe think about building up another engine in due course and wait for the one in it to pop again then do that one to so il have an engine to swap everytime it blows and not be to hertbroken about it

Any one got anspare engine kicking about?
Old 04 July 2012, 10:41 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Wounded at the fact i spent 140 on genuine head gaskets and now they are scrap to
Old 05 July 2012, 10:11 AM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L3YMS
Out of interest why is it common for the crank to fail after a head gasket failure?
Wondering also
Old 05 July 2012, 10:12 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L3YMS
Out of interest why is it common for the crank to fail after a head gasket failure?
No Earthly reason why they should unless the oil was badly contaminated?

JohnhD
Old 05 July 2012, 10:15 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

But they do.
Old 05 July 2012, 10:32 AM
r1c
Scooby Regular

The gasket failure contaminates the oil with water and washes the bearings out, which causes crank damage. If you search on it I'm sure you will find loads of posts about HG failure and within weeks of the repair the bottom end gives in! Maybe one of the engine builders can chip in and explain abit better
Old 05 July 2012, 12:27 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Mine never contaminated the oil...in all fairness the hg hadnt gone that bad

Just ine if them

Where is the best place to get a crank and probably a rod and shells on the cheap and il build it myself...how much am i looking roughly?

Api said the headgaskets may go again ad they have done like 50 odd km which is nothing just pissed off its got to come to bits again
Old 05 July 2012, 12:50 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Can anyone else verify that the head gaskets will be ok to reuse which will be a 140 quid bonus

Ideally i think i want an engine to chuck in for a few weeks so i can move it about and that...or if anyone has a recntly rebuilt one...im sure i seen a post on a motor out of an ra that was good for 900 quid...anyone have any details on this?
Old 05 July 2012, 01:43 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On earlier high mileage cars, it is a fact of life that the crank will be likely to fail. It seems that the rebuilt, strengthened top end, overloads an ageing bottom end and unless you are really lucky......... BANG.

None of us serious engine builders / tuners will do just head gaskets [ in our case Bug eye backwards ] unless the bottom end has at least a new set of big end shells fitted. Otherwise we have learnt that we get accused of doing something wrong and arguing over who should pay for the second repair.

I know it costs a bit extra over and above the cost of the head gasket job. BUT, the engine is out if you are doing the head gaskets properly, so it is a simple enough job to split the cases and change the big ends.

Not knowing to do it, or crossing your fingers, or short term lack of funds is almost certainly going to leave you in much the same situation as the OP. Pissed off and out of pocket.

The proper 3 layer STi gaskets he bought from us will go again at that little mileage. they do not crush as such, like a composite gasket does and I would be prepared to ' take the risk ' and have already advised that they will be OK.

David APi
Old 05 July 2012, 02:39 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

im prepared to take the risk

im more pissed o at the fact i thought yh il buy all new parts gaskets etc and do it properly and i wouldnt of thought twie about doing the shells if id of known

oh well one of them...its just its going to cost me a crank now instead of just a set of ****ing shells

**** sake!
Old 05 July 2012, 07:36 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

been on the look out...hopefully going to pick up an engine to use for the time being...supposedly CDB to which is a bonus and had a recent rebuild!

then i can think about serious power in the blown up one!

whats the max power my box will handle or can i get a different box and bolt my dccd on to it?

are the boxes interchangeable in that way?
Old 05 July 2012, 09:43 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Api suggested i do it at my own risk ti save any arguments in which im happy to try for 140 as if they fail its only time stripping it back down again and putting head gaskets back on that i took the gamble on before...afterall the engine can be removed operated on and installed again in probably an afternoon for anyone

How much do you want for your short motor mate?

I think for now im gonna take the motor out of my rotten wagon track car and use that for a bit and build a good engine in the meantime though but if a decent engine is there to be had for a good cash price im happy to go for it?