Notices

Anyone had idle issues with esl?

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2012, 09:49 PM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had idle issues with esl?

Hello guys
Had the esl fitted yesterday it's now mafless it's just that on 1 of the maps the revs sit at 1500rpm and on the other it does it now and then, also when I come to a stop the revs will go up and down a little before they settle??
Any advice or if I could try anything to see if I can sort it would be great.
Also can you have pops/bangs with the esl?
Regards
Old 03 July 2012, 11:52 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

The idle code isn't changed so it is still OEM. You can map in pops and bangs or proper motorsports features are just around the corner.
Old 04 July 2012, 12:24 AM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
The idle code isn't changed so it is still OEM. You can map in pops and bangs or proper motorsports features are just around the corner.
Thanks for the reply
It just seemed weird how the idle was ok before and all the way back home it was ok untill I turned it off and went back out a couple of hours later?
Is it just a tweak to the map for pops/bangs? Is it achieved by adding fuel on over run or with timing?
I will have wait untill the guy who mapped it is passing my area I hate waiting ha
Cheers Steve

Last edited by Boost luver; 04 July 2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04 July 2012, 10:10 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Idle speed is also affected by coolant temperature so it will be higher when cold.

It is also important to remember that the MAF sensor has much finer granularity at low loads due to its exponential response than a MAP sensor with a linear response, so any MAFless system is not going to read load with as fine a pitch at idle.

If you want a graphic demonstration of this try plugging an old school GEMS MAFless ECU in and see what you think of the idle and cranking quality.

If you have literally just had it done, give it a chance before immediately getting it tweaked.

Pops and bangs can be achieved by turning off injector over run cut off, which is another feature of modern ECUs that saves you fuel and improves the drive quality. We have developed Launch control which will shortly be available but you need to be careful when using it as EGTs will climb. Its intended use is to improve quarter mile times for drag racers or starts for racers but I suspect it may also get used as ultimate "pops and bangs".
Old 04 July 2012, 12:25 PM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the explanation, and I no what you mean about the gem's had 1 of them years ago on another car..

Iv fount a leaky injector last night so that is not going to help things! I'm happy enough and like the power delivery, my friends car fitted with esl just has pops as you lift off on 1 of the map setting just for "affects" as I think launch is good for the strip unless you fancy a tickle at the traffic lights,
Thanks again