Notices

Best available TMIC?

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2012, 10:12 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best available TMIC?

My STi currently runs in the mid 390's still using the standard TMIC I'm contemplating a turbo change (currently using an MD321H) looking to 430+ but although I realise a FMIC to lower charge temps. would be sensible, I really would prefer to retain a top mount. I know there are cars out there running well into the 400's using a top mount so my question is - is there a more efficient top mount available than the standard STi item?

JohnD
Old 26 June 2012, 10:46 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

APS, Hyperflow and Chevron Motorsport all do really good upgrades with the last being EPIC by all accounts.
Old 26 June 2012, 11:03 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been many threads that a standard sti top mount is as good and even better than any after market item.
Old 26 June 2012, 11:37 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!

Originally Posted by BIG FUD
There has been many threads that a standard sti top mount is as good and even better than any after market item.
It may be better than the cheap Ebay versions Fud, but it isn't as good as the higher quality aftermarket versions.
Old 27 June 2012, 08:21 AM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MartynJ
It may be better than the cheap Ebay versions Fud, but it isn't as good as the higher quality aftermarket versions.
I see,The reason i said this martyn is that for sprint series in my type r i wanted to stay top mount and tried forged top mount and another 1-2 compared to the standard sti and made little difference after fitting a af20g i asked andy the question and he agreed after market for the cost might gain u 5bhp if that compared to the original sti top mount.

Cant see the op getting 430+ no matter what top mount he fits ?
Old 27 June 2012, 10:10 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

APS, Hyperflow and Chevron Motorsport all do really good upgrades with the last being EPIC by all accounts.

Epic in price too. Below is what Harvey surmised after a lot of back to back testing.

Personally, having taken a lot of time and trouble comparing ACTs on numerous standard TMIC set ups, STi 8 TMIC on Classics and front mounts on both Classics and New Age I just would not bother fittng a so called uprated top mount once the ability of the OE TMIC was exceeded. At that point for me it is straight on to an efficient front mount ie. Hybrid for a cost effective and efficient solution in terms of both performance and fitting.
Old 27 June 2012, 10:39 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Whilst I'll investigate those, I need to confirm the importance of getting the air to all of the core. If these IC's are physically larger than standard, do they come with a bespoke undertray and splitter?

JohnD

PS How are all of those fostered furry people you have filled the house with?
Old 27 June 2012, 10:49 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Unless you have £1800 to spend on a tmic, I would forget about getting a Chevron!
Old 27 June 2012, 10:56 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

I see,The reason i said this martyn is that for sprint series in my type r i wanted to stay top mount and tried forged top mount and another 1-2 compared to the standard sti and made little difference after fitting a af20g i asked andy the question and he agreed after market for the cost might gain u 5bhp if that compared to the original sti top mount.

All the necessary ancillaries are there to achieve that figure and more but for a turbo that can flow the necessary air!
The IC in itself is not a power enhancing componant and if you could achieve a nice low charge temp. it matters not if it's a FMIC or TMIC. In reality of course, the FMIC should provide cooler air given identical ambient conditions?

JohnD
Old 27 June 2012, 12:15 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

why do you want to stay top mount so badly?
Old 27 June 2012, 12:55 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

I believe I'm correct in saying that there is a Time Attack car running a Chevron Motorsport topmount at nearly 500bhp
Old 27 June 2012, 01:30 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
why do you want to stay top mount so badly?
It's really just a preference. I know I'm at the point of the FMIC being the sensible option and am willing to go that way. Just wanted to know if there was a viable top mount alternative. There is also the fact that as it's a 90% road car, I'm nervous that the combination of front mount and bigger turbo will push the spool point. Having said that, something like a SC46 Billet should'nt be far behind the MD321H in terms of spool?

JohnD
Old 27 June 2012, 01:44 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe I'm correct in saying that there is a Time Attack car running a Chevron Motorsport topmount at nearly 500bhp
I bet the owner's well grateful for the after-event slowing down lap/s.

Last edited by joz8968; 27 June 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 27 June 2012, 03:30 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
It's really just a preference. I know I'm at the point of the FMIC being the sensible option and am willing to go that way. Just wanted to know if there was a viable top mount alternative. There is also the fact that as it's a 90% road car, I'm nervous that the combination of front mount and bigger turbo will push the spool point. Having said that, something like a SC46 Billet should'nt be far behind the MD321H in terms of spool?

JohnD

John

From my point of view,you should be able extract more power with FMIC like with TMIC..

About the SC46 on 2.0L not sure,but i would ask Martyn@EngineTuner which have mapped few of them

SC42 should be better on the 2.0L or sent your H to Mark@Lateral Performance and get billet wheel,this should be better bet and cheaper too

Jura
Old 27 June 2012, 04:13 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

The very fact that a FMIC cools the charge more, means more oxgygen molecules for the same amount of airflow, thus promoting a bit more power.

Harvey's oft posted anecdote illustrates this perfectly.
Old 28 June 2012, 09:03 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

JohnD
Bigger turbo will push spool point no nmater what, setup right there wont be any differance due to the front mount.

As far as what turbo best bet for your application, is to speak to the horse and get it direct from their mouth , aka Kev at clinic lol
Old 28 June 2012, 09:21 AM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
John

From my point of view,you should be able extract more power with FMIC like with TMIC..

About the SC46 on 2.0L not sure,but i would ask Martyn@EngineTuner which have mapped few of them

SC42 should be better on the 2.0L or sent your H to Mark@Lateral Performance and get billet wheel,this should be better bet and cheaper too

Jura
I have a 46 on a 2.0ltr with AVCS. It's mental ****
Knows what it would be like on a 2.1 or 2.35 :-0 but I am on aps dr725 front mount
Old 28 June 2012, 11:10 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Steve, I thought you were flogging on your s.s. SC46 Billet?
Old 28 June 2012, 11:39 AM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Steve, I thought you were flogging on your s.s. SC46 Billet?
I am, engine taking longer than expected.
Old 28 June 2012, 11:53 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Old 28 June 2012, 02:11 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Looks like that once I've decided the way to go, I need to find a reputable tuner to do the package of FMIC, turbo and re-map. Always used Paul at Zen before but not sure he's properly set up for mechanical work yet? I was there a year ago come Aug. for a map adjustment following the GT spec headers install I did down here in Essex and he wasn't quite 'organised' in the new unit.

JohnD
Old 28 June 2012, 02:40 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like that once I've decided the way to go, I need to find a reputable tuner to do the package of FMIC, turbo and re-map. Always used Paul at Zen before but not sure he's properly set up for mechanical work yet? I was there a year ago come Aug. for a map adjustment following the GT spec headers install I did down here in Essex and he wasn't quite 'organised' in the new unit.

JohnD
John he is quite busy at the moment but drop him a message he should be able to sort something out for you
Old 28 June 2012, 07:42 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Thanks for quoting me above Einstein. My view has not changed.
If you want to come to a meaningful conclusion, Hybrid FMIC-v-aftermarket or O/E TMIC you only have to measure presssure drop across the core and the air charge temperature at the throttlebody and you will come to the same conclusions I have.
Alsohave a look on Sean's project thread and see what he found quite independantly.